soon to be 9 year old new bike options

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited September 2016 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hi all,

My 8 year old will need a new bike for his 9th birthday in August, gives me almost 3 months to research and acquire one. He is currently on a 20" hotrock that he had when he was 6, which having not ridden it all winter was surprisingly small for him today when we went out for a ride.

I'm not sure if he will get away with a 26" wheel now? He is about 134cm tall at the moment. Its probably borderline from some of the size guides I've seen so far. I will measure his inside leg tomorrow. Edit 62cm in shoes.

As far as brands go, unfortunately Islabikes are going to be too expensive for me.

Frog are doable at about £275 for the frog62 (https://www.frogbikes.com/lightweight-kids-bikes/hybrid-bikes/frog62.aspx).

Decathlon have a 24" rockrider for £200 (http://www.decathlon.co.uk/24-rockrider-700-kids-mountain-bike-id_8327645.html) which comes in at 13.3kg, a bit heavy maybe, but lighter than equivalent bikes at Halfords.

Had a look at the Hoy Bonaly too which is similarly spec'd to the frog for £320 (https://www.evanscycles.com/hoy-bonaly-24-inch-kids-bike-EV203132)

I think ideally I'd like something <12kg, with no front gears and a decent range cassette at the back. I think the frog is winning at the moment.

But maybe I'd be better getting him a £120 rockrider from Decathlon to last a year until he has grown a bit, then get him a better 26" bike?

Any tips from other parents buying for this age would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• danlightbulb
    Nice suggestion on the champion, although a bit more pricey new at c. £350, and heavier at c. 12.9 kg. Going to look second hand as well, done that with both my kids current 20" hotrocks.

Another hotrock is also an option. Current 20" versions that both my kids have have been nice bikes, not the lightest around but manageable. I fitted islabike cranks to my younger son's one to lower the gearing, but it was a bit of a hassle so not keen on messing around like that again.

Kinda surprised though at the very limited used options on ebay. Would have thought there would be loads of kids growing out of 24" bikes and thus loads for sale.
  • danlightbulb
    Oh right. Info from one of the websites selling it. Weight information already sparce enough as it is without it being incorrect as well lol.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    If you're going second-hand then worth looking at islabikes, you'll be able to sell it on for a good price once he's outgrown it.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • danlightbulb
    Yeah my younger son had one before his current hotrock. Think i only lost 20 quid on it on resale.

He would fit on a beinn 26 small. However one of these is likely to be over my budget used, and resale in the future is not as secure as it has been with the new competitors recently. Its an option though.
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    What is the purpose of the bike.
    Your examples are two with rigid forks and one with some sort of suspension.

There are MUCH lighter bikes than Islabikes/Frog in that sort of size (650C rather than 26") specifically for road .... and much more suitable for offroad and these sit in the middle. If you want one single "do-it-all" then that's one option.

I saw some really good 650C bikes on eBay a few weeks ago.... and lots of goodish and upgradable 26" XS mountain bikes and you could probably buy BOTH for the cost of a new Frog/Isla.
  • danlightbulb
    Its a mountain bike I want for him, we do off road only, although they do ride around on the area outside the house (cul de sac). Nothing excessive trails wise, so rigid forks would be fine, and we always have my younger son too so can't go round any red routes unfortunately. Started riding canals with them both recently. So a do-it-all bike probably describes it best.
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    Its a mountain bike I want for him, we do off road only, although they do ride around on the area outside the house (cul de sac). Nothing excessive trails wise, so rigid forks would be fine, and we always have my younger son too so can't go round any red routes unfortunately. Started riding canals with them both recently. So a do-it-all bike probably describes it best.

Rigid's might be best on the canal towpaths though on the plus side weights not that critical...
    We just have the one canal though so we soon exhausted that, though the nice thing was pub at the other end for lunch :D This was a few months before his 6th birthday. But since you feel the limiting factor is your youngest ....

My kid started on the trails at 6 (and a month or so) on a 20" rigid. (Evans own brand Pinnacle Ash)
    He wasn't super-fit or sporty... just a normal kid running round the playground...and a mate of mine had suggested it but I was in two minds.... (my mate is SUPER keen, he moved to the US but he wins a lot of state level XC and road races) though he has 2 girls so I was trusting his judgement as a father more than super keen cyclist)

We had to stop for lots of rests initially. Pretty much after every hill. (I made a rule early on about only stopping to rest at the top or you have to start after your rest with a hill)

He got onto red trails quite quickly though but I think the actual tipping point was when we met another 5yr old and his Dad who was riding (on a smaller fixed gear bike) and we ended up riding together. The other kid was doing some Red trails (obviously had to push up the steeper hills) and he decided if the other kid could do it so could he. He started going really slowly but soon progressed and within a couple of months he'd really hit the limit for rigid forks and 20" wheels.
    (I realised that after following him down a trial and forgetting to unlock my own forks) .. that makes me realise that at some point when he was still on the 20" my own bike became unsuitable... as I was riding a hybrid with 700C's and a cheap suspension fork.. and it became clear it was not the right bike to follow him...

We then ended up with a 24" and suspension forks... (£250) he was 120cm at the time.

He's now riding more or less anything adults could ride (though the components are upgraded so its light... lighter than the Frog with rigid forks) We live near Swinley but we had a week staying near Sherwood at Easter and he found Sherwood reds were a bit tame and like the Swinley Blues .... (though we still had fun) but got some more challenging rides in the Peaks. He'll can now do a 15 km Red-Blue without stopping... though we usually do stop just for picnics and because it's meant to be FUN !!

I doubt having an older sibling would have prompted him trying reds.... more that he saw a kid his age and a year below in school doing them (He's youngest in his year... born a few hours later he's be a year back in school)

Anyway.... just thought it worth you considering.
  • danlightbulb
    Well this is proving to be much more difficult than when I bought the 20" bikes on the used market. There seems to be nothing of any decent quality around in the 24" size, within a reasonable distance from me anyway.

We saw Decathlon's 24" rockrider yesterday, which he liked. It's £200 new though. I'd really rather pay £100 to £150 used but I don't think its going to happen. I can't justify, nor really afford, to spend nearer £300.

The next model rockrider down is £130 I think but is a heavy steel frame 15kg bike. I'm dissappointed in Decathlon in this bracket, I think they could do better.
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    I've got a 24inch road/cross bike for sale.. In the classified kids bikes section.

PM me if your interested...

Thanks
  • Ed_P
    Ed_P Posts: 12
    The bikes you found are pretty awesome I love them, i'd be one happy 9 year old for sure. Have you seen this article on Bike Radar ? http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/b ... deo-13476/

Should help you understand exactly what you need to be looking for when buying a kids bike. I've had good experiences with Evans Cycles in the past, so would highly recommend. There repair and care service after purchase is also second to none, so that extra little bit of investment should go a long way.

Have you considered accessories too? From what I remember about of having birthday parties at a young age Aunts, Uncles and siblings still get involved with presents. If your little one is really into outdoor sports and passionate about it as a hobby why not encourage it by making it even more fun with one these Mini digital Camcorders for helmets: http://www.menkind.co.uk/mini-action-cam-pro-hd-720p

Helmets sadly have become increasingly uncool but I feel confident that the GoPro craze and social media/ video world we live in can bring back the bike helmet again, I'm a huge fan! Maybe this is something they could spend their birthday money on?
  • Hi and congrats to your son haha :) I love the frogbike's one!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    My kid's first bikes were Islabikes (Cnoc 16 then Beinn 20L). Latest bike for my ever growing son though was the Frog 62. Superb machine - built as well as the Isla, nearly as light but with some nice extras thrown in for free - touch up paint, mudguards, spare tubes and extra set of tyres.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Ed_P wrote:
    Helmets sadly have become increasingly uncool but I feel confident that the GoPro craze and social media/ video world we live in can bring back the bike helmet again, I'm a huge fan! Maybe this is something they could spend their birthday money on?
    Uncool or not my kids wear helmets. I make it quite clear that when they are older they can choose for themselves but for now Dad's rules apply. Same as a lot of decisions parents make for their children.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Mototarka wrote:

That's a decent looking bike at a great price! Any idea on the weight? I see that they do a 26" version too (though not at Wiggle). The only downside is the disks - my eldest two (Luath 26 and Worx JA24) both race 'cross and road (crit) but some of the road races don't allow bikes with disks...

_