Choice of 3.....

Vital Spark
Vital Spark Posts: 11
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
New to the road scene and in the market for a sportive road bike.

Narrowed the selection down to the following;
1. Specialized Roubaix SL4 sport
2. Giant Defy Advanced 2
3. Trek Domane 4.3

All very similar specs and price points.

Also am 6ft so looking at 58cm frame size, or L on the Giant.

Appreciate any sound advice
Many thanks

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Re. the Defy go try the M/L and L bikes for size as depending on your reach the L may be too long?
  • Gaz777
    Gaz777 Posts: 84
    Also, you may be a 56cm for the Roubaix. I had one in a 58 and I'm 6'2"; I think it may have been a little big if I was two inches shorter.
  • devonboy
    devonboy Posts: 45
    I have a current Roubaix.At 6ft I was at the top end of a 56cm and the bottom end of a 58cm.I went for a 58cm, which is 20mm higher at the head tube, because I am an older gent with an inflammatory back condition and need the higher position to be comfortable.I then swopped the 110mm stem for a 90mm stem to adjust the reach.

Other than that the wheels and tyres are as usual rubbish and have been replaced,also I swopped the Axis brakes for 105 brakes with Swissstop pads.Because of the more upright position I also changed the supplied toupe saddle for a romin with a more curved shape.

Thus modified the bike has been fantastic,4000 miles in my first full year on a road bike.
  • Vital Spark
    Thank you guys, indeed seem to be top end of 56 and bottom of 58.
    Will check out a few test rides.
    Cheers
  • Vital Spark
    P.S. 4000 miles in first year - very commendable :D
    Well done!
  • perfectmark
    perfectmark Posts: 117
    I made a similar choice when getting my road bike (between the Trek and the Roubaix), I personally went with the Roubaix in the end. I think it looks a bit better than the Trek because it has internal cable routing, where as the Trek has external at that price point (high end models have internal).
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    the defy and roubaix size quite similarly.

considering it seems like you might be 'between sizes' -
    if you like the higher position of the larger size, but the shorter reach of the smaller size (of the Defy/Roubaix) ... the Domane is probably best suited as it is fairly significantly higher than the Defy/Roubaix and a fair bit shorter too (the Domane is a more relaxed/less aggressive geometry in the equivalent size). It is also easy (and better) to make a relaxed bike more aggressive than the other way around (at best reduces handling ... at worst doesn't work for you)