Garmin 'memory full' message

jamie4759
jamie4759 Posts: 117
edited February 2017 in Workshop
Hello all, my Garmin 500 edge has started displaying a message which reads 'Memory is full'. Despite deleting all activities and totals, it is still continuing when I power up the device. I do use Garmin Express and Connect and it is clear that the updates are all current. Any advice?

Comments

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    ^^This^^ and If it still doesn't work, it might well be terminal.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Hmmm... mine did this today, Windows says 21MB free, the other day it stopped recording at exactly 30 miles into a ride?What gives? iirc it's less than a year old...
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    My 800 did this for a few weeks. I cleared activities etc, found some odd files but it continued to say full. I found time to sit down and go through the files diligently. I use,an sd card for maps. I eventually found a file containing videos, photos and one of my kids schoolwork., tonnes of the stuff. Have a thorough look in the files when it's hooked up to the computer, somehow all that cr@p on my 800 got transferred, possibly during an computer update session when it was plugged in overnight. It's sorted now.
  • Listen to the latest DC Rainmaker podcast - he answers this specific question. The fact it has happened to a number of ppl suggests it is an update problem.

From memory, his advice was plug it into the computer, delete the update file and delete a whole bunch of languages, that should free up the space.

The answer is pretty much at the end of the podcast - 25 mins onwards, if you don't want to listen to the rest.

Hope that helps
  • Just to add to this post.
    I have just had this 'memory full' message on my old Garmin 500 and having read the replies above I have to thank 'Quins' for the most helpful reply. When i looked into all the folders within my Garmin it turns out I had 50MB of data from my home computer in my bike computer !! My fit files now have a PDF icon but upload to Strava?
    I am guilty of leaving my Garmin connected to my PC so here is a question to the computer guys out there.....
    How can this happen as I would say this is very serious.

Thanks

Mid Life Crisis999
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Just to add to this post.
    I have just had this 'memory full' message on my old Garmin 500 and having read the replies above I have to thank 'Quins' for the most helpful reply. When i looked into all the folders within my Garmin it turns out I had 50MB of data from my home computer in my bike computer !! My fit files now have a PDF icon but upload to Strava?
    I am guilty of leaving my Garmin connected to my PC so here is a question to the computer guys out there.....

Thanks

Mid Life Crisis999

If you have a Garmin folder open in Windows Explorer it wouldn't be hard to accidentally drag a few files into the Garmin rather than wherever you meant to drag them particularly if they went straight into an unopened folder.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    You (or another user) would have inadvertently copied the files across when he Garmin was plugged in to your computer. You could have carried out an accidental drag and drop or maybe you ran some software that syncs data to some external storage without realising it would sync to the Garmin. I have done this in the past with my Garmin.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Quit saving all that crap.