Kinesis Aithein sizing advice

PepperAsh
PepperAsh Posts: 4
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi
I'm 6ft 2in (188cm) with 33.5in (84cm) inside leg - so slightly short legs / long body for my height. Lower back flexibility not great but then I'm no spring chicken. Was looking at the Aithein for shortish hacks (1-3 hours) with my son to get him fit. Reckon I could get away with 56cm or 59cm but if anyone of similar size and proportions has experience of this frameset I'd appreciate advice. Currently riding a Large Cotic Roadrat for commuting so not a straightforward comparison... Thanks in advance!

Comments

• IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    I think you're somewhere between the 2. How aggressive do you want your position to be? Saddle-to-handlebar drop?
  • PepperAsh
    Thanks for the reply - not too aggressive: I reckon 0 to 5cm drop is realistic!
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    If you want an aggressive position then go for the 56. But I suspect you'd end up with around 10cm saddle-to-handlebar drop. 59 would be better for you by the sound of it. I'd contact Kinesis and get their opinion though.

The aithein is a light-weight racer. It's a cracking bike, and I love mine. It's not a cruiser though. It's a spirited ride, and definitely for those who like to ride hard. But having said that, the ride is surprisingly refined for an aluminium bike. Not harsh at all. Are you aware of the weight limit?
  • PepperAsh
    Thanks for the advice. Yes aware of the weight limit - keeps the pressure on to fight middle-aged spread! When I first got the Roadrat I thought it was twitchy but now I just think it handles great, which is why I like the idea of a racer over a sportive. Kinesis has recommended 59cm, BTW, which I'm beginning to think it's the right balance. Cheers!