Training/Commuting with tubs

BigColUK
BigColUK Posts: 69
edited May 2016 in Cyclocross
Hi - I've just bought a cyclo-cross bike, mainly because I enjoy distance riding on the roadbike but sometimes wish I had my mtb with me when I pass sone off-road trails so thought it would be a good all-rounder.
Problem is that I didn't realise the wheels used tubs so I'm nervous about mid-ride punctures.
I've read about various sealant/foams you can take with you but I can't confirm yet whether the valve cores are removable (they are Challenge Fango tyres).
What do others do? Do you take a pre-stretched spare tub with you?
Should I be looking at some training clinchers?
Should've probably done more research before I started clicking the options on the bike :oops:

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I ride tubs almost everyday. Including commuting to work down the Holloway Road. It's fine. Carry a spare tub (Tufo do a super-light one that works well as a spare and packs down only slightly bigger than an inner tube) - you'll need to pre-glue it if your tubs are glued; tape makes it easier. Carry a can of Vittoria Pitstop or Velox or something - pre-packed sealant and gas for re-inflation. If you like, you can stick 30ml of Caffe Lattex or Stans sealant in them, which should soak up most punctures. Removable cores help, but most injectors will push the sealant in past the core anyway.

I've had to use my spare tub maybe once every 5,000km, so it's really not a big deal.
  • BigColUK
    Fantastic - thanks very much for the info. Really useful.
  • 0ced0
    0ced0 Posts: 46
    also, that may seem obvious, but don't be cheap and replace them when they're worn !
  • BigColUK
    Haha, don't worry, I'm only a tight Yorkshireman for anything non-bike related :wink:
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I'd just buy some cheap clinchers. Racing tubs don't last long if you try and use them as normal training tyres and they aren't exactly cheap to replace.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Some slightly misleading responses here...

CX Tubs have very little in common with road tubs apart from the basic construction. CX tubs are designed to be ridden at very low pressures (at 85kg, I race at anything from 25psi down to 13psi), whereas road tubs are generally ridden at much higher pressures. CX tubs (including the Challenge Fangos the OP has ordered) are *not* designed with longevity in mind; I take good care out of mine, including cleaning and drying them carefully after every race, yet I doubt I've ever got as much as 200 miles out of any tyre. Yep, you read that correctly, 200 miles! The tradeoff is a massive performance advantage in many conditions, and 200 miles is still more than many racers would cover in a season, but don't think you're buying a robust product. I know a lot of people who race CX on tubs, but I don't think any of them would use tubs for training, let alone everyday riding.

Off-road, you won't really get the benefits of tubs until you're down at 25psi or less. Riding on tarmac at these low pressures causes all sorts of control issues as the tyres squirm underneath you; it's not at all uncommon to complete an off-road training session and then nearly stack the bike on the way back because you forgot to inflate your tyres before leaving.

My advice to the OP would be to buy some clinchers and keep the Fangos for racing; they're a great tread for grass and Summer CX, and not too bad in the mud either.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • 0ced0
    0ced0 Posts: 46
    doesn't sound like the OP races much.
    when the fangos are worn, fit a set of conti gatorskins 25c. they are tough, durable, affordable and can easily handle the occasional trail
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    0ced0 wrote:
    doesn't sound like the OP races much.
    That's exactly my point. I don't believe there's any point whatsoever in using lightweight CX tubs for anything other than racing. Maybe some of the heavier ones (eg Tufos) are robust enough to be used for training, but definitely not Challenges.

CX tubs, especially the lightweight ones like these, almost never wear out. Every one of mine has expired due to sidewall failure, with negligible tread wear.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • BigColUK
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I've spoken to PlanetX as the bike which comes with tubs is advertised as suitable for commuting and training. As they have already built and packaged the bike, they have done a really good deal on some additional training\commuting clinchers and tyres (rather than stop the delivery). I would like to get into racing this year so I will keep the tubs for that. Looking forward to getting out and certainly feel better that I will have a more suitable set up. Thanks again.