Tiagra 4700 v 105 5800 and bike sales

mstrmind5
mstrmind5 Posts: 45
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Any noticeable difference?
How does 4700 Tiagra compare with older 4600 Tiagra?

Still browsing for a possible new road bike for around £500-£600. Best fit seemed to be the Giant Defy 2 2015 for £520. Now stumbled upon two 2016 Wiggle bikes - Verenti Technique Tiagra (~£550) or the 105 version (~£640). Both largely use the latest versions of their repective groupsets (minus brake calipers). I've read the review of the Tiagra here http://road.cc/content/review/188558-ve ... -road-bike
Any experience of these bikes, brand and Wiggle?

Ideally I would like a Cannondale disc version, but out of my budget presently.

Am I correct in thinking that current year bikes go on sale about late August/September? So, too long to wait for this to come around?

Thanks.

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13022800

Yes, end of August/September for current model bikes to be discounted and there is the possibility that the size, model and colour you want may not be available in your size. The Wiggle Verenti bike are there in-house designed brand, the Technique Tiagra 4700 bike you mention seems a reasonable spec. for the money, geometry wise it is towards endurance.

There is one positive view on the website which say the bike comes with 28c tyres which will be good for ride comfort.
    If you compare it to the Giant Defy 2 which you say you have looked at and for example a Medium Defy, not saying this is the correct size for you, just using it for comparison.

Defy Medium
    Stack 56.7cm
    Reach 37.7cm

Verenti Technique 54cm
    Stack 55.3cm
    Reach 38.0cm
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I would pay the extra for 105, being 11 speed means you've more options if you want to upgrade.
  • canamdad
    canamdad Posts: 165
    I have new Tiagra on a gravel bike I bought recently and it works very well indeed. I wasn't concerned with being able to upgrade but if you are, of course, 105 is the more logical choice.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Check Paul's Cycles for good prices and a wider range of manufacturers.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    mstrmind5 wrote:
    Any noticeable difference for non-sportive users?
    ?
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As above - WTF are 'non-sportive' users..?
  • mstrmind5
    mstrmind5 Posts: 45
    Sorry, was half asleep when I wrote that. Didn't mean non-sportive, I think I meant for those who aren't pure racers, I think.

Apologies for the confusion.

Now edited.