Buying my FIRST bike: CAAD 8 or Allez DSW Elite?

pktran
pktran Posts: 5
edited May 2016 in Road beginners
I am completely new to biking and I wanted to get your guys input on getting a bike. I have got it down to 2 bikes

http://www.goridebicycles.com/Site/15%2 ... 8%206.html

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes ... ite/106649

CAAD8 for 800 USD

ALLEX for 1150 USD

Comments

• kawaspresso
    kawaspresso Posts: 106
    Both are good bike, but the Allez has a more recent groupset with 1 more gear on the cassette.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    I can't work out the CAAD advert... It says it has 20 gears, but then lists a 9 speed cassette and chain???

TBH, I've always quite liked the Allez range of bikes, for no special reason. Think I'd have the grey one.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    Can't go wrong with either, but if you want a celebrity endorsement, my first ever road bike (which I subsequently took over 1000km worth of Pyrenees in 5 days) was a specialized allez.
  • pktran
    pktran Posts: 5
    I was really leaning towards the CAAD cause its 800 I have not tested it out yet. I have tested on the Allez i liked it . But would like more advice , mush as possible to make my decision.
  • hucko003
    hucko003 Posts: 28
    For me, there is no question about it - definitely the Allez. It uses a SmartWeld frame which means that the frame is much lighter and even looks rather like carbon with the smooth welds. Whilst both frames are good, the Allez SmartWeld is one of the best aluminium frames on the market. Not that it's a big issue, but the BB30 bottom brackets on Cannondale's are prone to creaking whereas on the Allez you're looking at is threaded. Ok, it adds a bit of weight but easily replaceable and there should be no creaking. Wheels on Cannondale are poor but both frames could do with an upgrade on wheels. You're also getting a full Shimano groupset on the Specialized with the exception of the Axis brakes which are ok but the Tektro brakes on the Cannondale are again, definitely due an upgrade and they spec an FSA crankset which deviates from the Shimano. For me, a no brainer.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,019
    I ride an Allez, you should too.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Rollett
    Rollett Posts: 37
    I really enjoyed my Allez, I had a 2014, recently changed to a Roubaix but for my first serious road bike which made me fall in love with the sport my Allez/is great I technically still own it due to it being at the LBS for sale. I keep thinking I want to go in there and pull it down and keep it... But wife said if I wanted the Roubaix something had to give.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Can't go wrong with either, but if you want a celebrity endorsement, my first ever road bike (which I subsequently took over 1000km worth of Pyrenees in 5 days) was a specialized allez.

Did anybody in the history of riding a road bike inside the M25 not buy an Allez?!

Took mine, panniers n all, to Rome, surprisingly versatile thing.
  • hucko003
    hucko003 Posts: 28
    Rollett wrote:
    I really enjoyed my Allez, I had a 2014, recently changed to a Roubaix but for my first serious road bike which made me fall in love with the sport my Allez/is great I technically still own it due to it being at the LBS for sale. I keep thinking I want to go in there and pull it down and keep it... But wife said if I wanted the Roubaix something had to give.

Tell her you should keep it as a Winter bike. Wouldn't want to go riding your Roubaix with all the salt and grit on the roads... :D