Looking for new CX bike advice

stuzzicadenti
stuzzicadenti Posts: 4
edited May 2016 in Cyclocross
I am looking for a new bike as I haven't had one for about a year.

Short Version:
  1. My last bike was a Kona Jake the Snake 2010 (~$1400)
  2. I would like a new CX bike that is comparable or better
  3. Budget is probably under $2000

Detailed Version:
My last bike was a Kona Jake the Snake 2010 and I loved it. Keep in mind that our roads here tend to have a lot of potholes and other "issues" although I am pretty good at avoiding or jumping over them. There were times I wished I had a road bike since that is how I used it most of the time and it probably would have been better for 100+ mile road trips, but I don't foresee myself having multiple bikes as I have too many other hobbies so I feel that a CX bike still makes the most sense for me. I spent the summer months biking about 70 miles a day so I feel that I got decent use out of it while I had it.

I ended up donating the bike to someone I knew, because at the time I wasn't making enough money to properly maintain it. I am not a bike repair expert, but can make simple changes, so I am not a person who for this particular application would be comfortable building a bike (if I had a second bike I would consider this).

I am hoping that I can get some advice in regard to CX bikes hopefully under $2000 USD. If the recommendation is a newer version of the same bike that is fine, except that I have found it difficult to actually get a hold of a Kona CX bike within a reasonable distance. I believe i paid about $1400 for the Jake the Snake when I got it. I don't mind spending any reasonable amount of money, but only if it makes sense to do so.

I appreciate any advice.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,244
    I have a Ridley X-ride which is very good indeed. But it's the 2015 model with full carbon fork, the 2016 one has an alloy steerer, so it's a step down, however the geometry is the same. Belgians know how to design CX bikes. The Giant TCX SLR is a very good bike in your price range
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thank you for the response.

I ended up getting a Cannondale SuperX per the recommendation of a number of people. After also visiting, I believe 14, different shops over the last few weeks the one I purchased the bike from not only had very good reviews, but they lived up to the expectations. They also pointed me to this bike and two others before I mentioned it was one on my list.

I am not sure how I feel about Cannondale since I see so many of them around in this area. I know that may sound strange, but I don't want a bike because it's popular -- I want a good bike. Frankly at this point I'm just excited to be riding again.

The Ridley X-Ride you mentioned was also on my list, but finding any Ridley bikes of any model year is difficult within at least the 100 mile range I searched for and for now I like to be able to see it in person before buying.

I did ask for a few minor changes and that was no issue.

As I am not a repair expert it is also important to work with a shop that I feel good about since I will surely see them in the future.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Thank you for the response.

I ended up getting a Cannondale SuperX per the recommendation of a number of people. After also visiting, I believe 14, different shops over the last few weeks the one I purchased the bike from not only had very good reviews, but they lived up to the expectations. They also pointed me to this bike and two others before I mentioned it was one on my list.

I am not sure how I feel about Cannondale since I see so many of them around in this area. I know that may sound strange, but I don't want a bike because it's popular -- I want a good bike. Frankly at this point I'm just excited to be riding again.

The Ridley X-Ride you mentioned was also on my list, but finding any Ridley bikes of any model year is difficult within at least the 100 mile range I searched for and for now I like to be able to see it in person before buying.

I did ask for a few minor changes and that was no issue.

As I am not a repair expert it is also important to work with a shop that I feel good about since I will surely see them in the future.

Cannondale didn't get there just by being popular. It is good stuff, the Super X is a very good bike. But, go and ride some, and the Giant, which is also excellent.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Thank you, I did try out the Giant, but I did eventually did still go with the SuperX. After spending some time on it I remember why I missed this so much.

Thanks for the help and have fun out there!