Fork Headset Kinesis Aithein

dwanes
dwanes Posts: 954
edited August 2016 in Workshop
Hi Help/ Advice needed, Thanks

I have an existing Green Kinesis Aithein race bike which I built up myself with no issues.
I am now building up a second Orange one, BUT there is something different/ peculiar with the Fork on this new build.

As you can see from the picture below, there is no where for the crown race or bottom bearings to fit??

On the Green bike the fork is profiled so that the crown race/bottom bearing seats nicely, BUT on the second fork there is no where for the crown race or bearing to seat, it kind of just hangs there, it nowhere near seats down!

The weird thing is that it assembles / mates together with the frame ok, but long term it is just sitting on the tapered carbon fibre, surely this isnt right.

Is this normal? Why would two of the 'same' framesets be different?

20160507_113708.jpg

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Integrated crown race - no need to fit one!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dwanes
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Integrated crown race - no need to fit one!
    Integrated? does that mean the crown race is built onto the fork? should you be able to see a crown race?
    But the Bottom bearing is just then sitting against a carbon fibre taper?
  • dwanes
    Also, has something changed with the supply because I fitted a crown race to my first (Green) Aithein as shown in the photo
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    If you have to fit a crown race you need to drive it down so its sits flush - there is a specific tool for doing so.
  • dwanes
    lpretro1 wrote:
    If you have to fit a crown race you need to drive it down so its sits flush - there is a specific tool for doing so.
    If thats the case I dont think the lower end of the steerer is formed correctly because neither the crown race or the bearing anywhere near fits.
    I think i will have to return it :(
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Did it come with a crown race?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Why not email Kinesis and ask them?

The pics of the Aithein fork on their website look like your earlier green model, with an obvious step where a crown race would sit. Your photo of the orange one does suggest it's an integrated (carbon) crown race
  • dwanes
    Yes it came with a crown race.

Kinesis says there has been a change and it has an integrated crown race now
    but i still would expect the lower bearing to sit at the base of the steerer and not just on the slope of the carbon fibre like you see the crown race sitting in the photo.
  • djg2016
    djg2016 Posts: 2
    Hi Dwanes,

Don't suppose you solved the mystery of the lower bearing on your Aithein?

Just about to start my build and I too have found, similar to your second fork, that the crown race will presumably need fitting with a tool, and alternatively if the lower bearing fits directly on the fork, it sort of "hovers" rather than sitting flush.

Did you end up fitting the crown race down or installing the lower bearing straight on to the fork?

Any advice from any contributors much appreciated!

Cheers
    Dan
  • keef66
    If it's an integrated crown race the lower bearing does indeed sit directly on the fork.
  • dwanes
    Hi Dan,
    This had me annoyed, and still does, because it is the usual case of making things cheaper and cutting costs. It is the way of the world i guess.

But yes, the lower bearing does indeed just sit there hovering on the carbon fork taper. And then pushed up to the head tube.

No need for the crown race at all.

Once the top bearing is in place and everything is assembled it all works fine though.

My first Aithien had a proper fitted crown race which is why i was initially confused.
  • djg2016
    djg2016 Posts: 2
    Ace - thanks for letting me know!

I put the headset together last night and it does all seem to sit fine. Now for cutting the steerer....
  • leepez
    leepez Posts: 33
    Hi Guys,
    I've recently bought an Aithein and am having problems with the FSA headset that was supplied with the frameset.

I've put all the parts together but am finding that any slight adjustment to the stem top cap bolt is resulting in the fork being too tight to turn.
    When I slacken the bolt off so the fork is free to turn this then results in play in the headset.

Any ideas?

I must add that I am not using the crown race, lower bearing is straight onto the fork. I have noticed that there seems to be no clearance between the bottom of the head tube and where the fork meets this area?

I've been on two rides thinking that whatever it is might free the steering up a little (when set too tight) but no chance.
  • keef66
    leepez wrote:
    Hi Guys,
    I've recently bought an Aithein and am having problems with the FSA headset that was supplied with the frameset.

I've put all the parts together but am finding that any slight adjustment to the stem top cap bolt is resulting in the fork being too tight to turn.
    When I slacken the bolt off so the fork is free to turn this then results in play in the headset.

Any ideas?

I must add that I am not using the crown race, lower bearing is straight onto the fork. I have noticed that there seems to be no clearance between the bottom of the head tube and where the fork meets this area?

I've been on two rides thinking that whatever it is might free the steering up a little (when set too tight) but no chance.

Could it be that you have the older design of fork and the crown race is required? If it needs a crown race and you install it without, the outer part of the bearing could be hitting the fork crown. Which could make it very stiff or at worst prevent steering completely. Riding it like that could damage the fork, or more importantly, your face.

I'd contact the seller or Kinesis for clarification
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    keef66 wrote:
    I'd contact the seller or Kinesis for clarification

I had a similar question re a Tracer 1.5 disc fork for my 4S Disc. Kinesis sales department were adamant that I didn't need the supplied crown race. Chatting with others who'd built them, searching around then putting headset together dry showed that I clearly did. Not the most helpful.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • leepez
    leepez Posts: 33
    After having stripping it down for the fourth time and measuring each individual piece it looks like the crown race is required. However, it would be a heavy interference fit on the fork so I have ground some of the material off from the bore of the crown race. It was slightly easier to press fit onto the fork compared to my first attempt which was nowhere near.

The same symptoms are there, still too fine adjustment between slack/tight but the steering does seem a little more 'free' compared to before.

How are Kinesis shipping some frame sets/forks requiring a crown race and others without?