Merlin pricing, smoke and mirrors

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Get it right - you have to shout it from the rooftops - SMOKE AND MIRRORS !
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    I'm sorry but are Merlin forcing, preventing you from buying the cheaper option?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    plowmar wrote:
    I'm sorry but are Merlin forcing, preventing you from buying the cheaper option?
    Apology accepted.
  • mega9
    mega9 Posts: 41
    Wiggle
    105 black braze on FD £14.95 (:
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    No one can argue with what amazing value for money the Shimano 105-5800 kit is. God only knows why the OP is carping over £4-07p. That's less than some firms charge for postage and Merlin deliver free.
    Also, like for like price comparisons are easy enough to do with Google and a brand like Shimano.
  • edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    I think the OP's point is pretty obvious and I think it's valid even though the conmen reference is a bit strong. Any consumer would reasonably think that the bundle deal will be cheaper and the fact that it's not seems odd. That said, I think the Merlin site has experienced some recent problems with bundle deals as I noticed that a couple of the Shimano wheel bundles don't actually offer a discount.
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    I would not equate merlin to we sell any carbon.com
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    Quick glance so I may be wrong but suspect the Gear set includes the cables?
  • Grifcp
    Grifcp Posts: 283
    As do the shifters on their own. I like Merlin though, one of the better shops and I've seen this exact thing at Ribble as well when they used to do 10% off promos that did'nt include groupsets, totted up the individual prices and it came out slightly cheaper and then got the 10% off!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    OMG I'M OUTRAGED (as is everyone else in 2016)!!

I'm quite happy with 2 Michelin pr 4 SC tyres with vittoria tubes for £48
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • darkhairedlord
    Perhaps I should have added the winky smiley face for those with irony filters on their screens.
    Lets be clear, and i'll use Paxington's upper case.
    THEY ALL DO IT.
    Am I "boverred" ?
    No, of course not, and most likely no one else is either. We all know the price of everything is whatever it is today and unlikely to be the same as it was yesterday or what it is tomorrow.
    BUT we wouldn't drag out a ten page onslaught of hateful bile just to keep a capitalised thread heading at the top of the list.
  • MikeBrew
    mostly wrote:
    I would not equate merlin to we sell any carbon.com

This is definitely about as succinct as it gets. :wink: Spot-on observation, eloquently put.
  • edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    THEY ALL DO IT.
    Am I "boverred" ?
    No, of course not, and most likely no one else is either. We all know the price of everything is whatever it is today and unlikely to be the same as it was yesterday or what it is tomorrow.
    BUT we wouldn't drag out a ten page onslaught of hateful bile just to keep a capitalised thread heading at the top of the list.

So, to be clear, you don't have an issue with Merlin's pricing policy, but you started this thread to draw attention to a thread you feel has already had too much attention?

And for what it's worth, you're post was sarcastic, not ironic.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Morrisons yesterday. Ready meal curries. £1.50 each. Or 3 for £6.00.

SMOKE AND MIRRORS!!!
  • MikeBrew
    I'm not saying you're not funny, but if that's your best material, then there's a very real chance of your audience falling into a Korma.......
  • darkhairedlord
    Edindevon wrote:
    THEY ALL DO IT.
    Am I "boverred" ?

So, to be clear, you don't have an issue with Merlin's pricing policy, but you started this thread to draw attention to a thread you feel has already had too much attention?

And for what it's worth, you're post was sarcastic, not ironic.

no, it really wasn't...