France vs Germany

DrDavros
DrDavros Posts: 62
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
In the blue corner, the oft-recommended Btwin RAFAL 720 / SRAM http://www.decathlon.fr/btwin-vtt-rafal-720-275-bleu-id_8337929.html (I think this French spec is different to what’s available in the UK)

In the anthracite corner, the Radon Team 8.0 / Shimano http://www.radon-bikes.de/en/bikes-2016/mountainbike/hardtail/zr-team-275/zr-team-275-80/

The Rafal is a shade ‘longer’ , the Radon a shade more ‘upright’ (might be better for my dodgy back). But the Rafal is a nicer colour…

Instinctively, I prefer the Shimano kit on the Radon – but I’ve never used SRAM - but being able to flip the brakes levers (to UK / moto-setup, which I’m used to) on the BTwin would be useful. Worried that Avid brakes may not be the best, though. And what’s the Manitou fork on the Btwn like?

Sadly, my nearest two Decathlons havn’t got a Rafal in stock and the nearest Radon stockist is 5hrs away in Bonn. I guess both would do the same job very well for a reformed roadie (forest tracks, trails, no gnarly stuff or serious downhills) - perhaps the Radon would be a bit more ‘forgiving’ to ride?

Any thoughts / other considerations?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Manitou fork is good, in this case I'd say better than the XC30 TK on the Radon, The Rafal is also better in the drivetrain, while I prefer Shimano brakes, the DB are proving a lot better than the older Avid brakes (though swapping the brakes on Shimano is not hard and you can do it without a bleed - Shimano have a 'how to' doc).

I can't find the geometry data for the Rafal to compare.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    May I ask whereabouts you live? The choice could possibly depend on that due to the riding position
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • DrDavros
    DrDavros Posts: 62
    Thanks for the thoughts - - I'll be using the bike almost exclusively in the East & SE of France - I've got a place in Burgundy SW of Dijon & friends further South who I often visit. Terrain is hilly (250 -600 m) and heavily forested. It looks as if the Rafa is only 1 cm or so longer than the Radon, but the headtube is a good bit shorter.