Smallish chip of clear coat and paint

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
edited May 2016 in Workshop
Took the ridesense sensor off my bike to change the battery this evening and a flake of paint and clear coat chipped off leaving a small section of naked carbon fibre visible on the inside of the chain stay (probably about the size of a quarter of a penny at most). I don't think it's a problem but thought I'd check. Worth filling it in with new clear coat? I've got one of those halfords touch up pens for the car, thought that would do if necessary.

Comments

• AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Yeah that would do. Personally i'd probably end up using the mrs' clear nail varnish as its always lying around! Lol.
  • Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    Nail varnish does it for me. I have steel frames touched up with nail varnish 15 or 20 years ago, and the touch-up job is still fine.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Just a thought...

Touch up paints are acrylic (water based).
    Isn't nail varnish cellulose based, it always smells as such?

So are nail varnishes OK to use on carbon?
    I'm genuinely just asking as I'd be unsure?
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I just went with the touch up clear coat. Unfortunately it was all apparently for nothing as the ridesense didn't need a new battery, its actually died. So now I've got some sugru on its way to fill in the holes.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    You should be able to just use nail varnish it wont react with the water based stuff on their now.