Michelin Power Competition Tyre

RoadRacer1973
RoadRacer1973 Posts: 20
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi All,
I bought a Michelin power competition tyre from Chain Reaction and today i received it in the post.
I'm fairly new to road cycling and as i opened the box i noticed this tyre looked fairly dirty with a hole in it.
After looking on box the hole on the tyre is next to initials TWI.
On the box it says "These tyres have a layer of protection that will disappear after the first few kilometers "

I payed over £30 for this tyre and i don't have another too compare so my queston is is this hole a fault or is it their for a reason and will fade away when the protection has disappeared?
Any advice would be grateful.

Comments

• 20160512_121523.jpg
  • RoadRacer1973
    RoadRacer1973 Posts: 20
    edited May 2016
    http://s32.postimg.org/fkgdetged/20160512_121523.jpg

As you look you will see the hole is this a fault and needs to go back or is it normal?
  • The hole is just above the w on the word power
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    The "hole" is the wear marker, as for the muck again perfectly normal mine were filthy its just transit muck I wouldnt worry over.
    The wear marker is a similar idea to a car tyre once thats flush your at lower rubber layers so worth looking at new ones.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    TWI means tread wear indicator. The hole is there to tell you when you need to replace the tyre; once the hole disappears then the tyre is worn out.

As for it looking a bit dirty, I wouldn't worry. The rubber on tyres is pretty tacky so will tend to pick up dirt. Just give it a wipe with a damp cloth once you've got it fitted.
  • 0ced0
    0ced0 Posts: 46
    TWI stands for tread wear indicator...

[edit] oops beaten to it
  • Excellent thanks very much everyone.
    Just seemed odd but you have all learned me something to day.
    Appreciated
    Thanks again