help me decide on bikes!

mxmike1991
mxmike1991 Posts: 56
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
So I ordered a Planet X rt 58 on Monday But in two minds whether to change now

my question is should I change and get a pro carbon instead? I have bought the bike for training purposes mainly, (to compliment another sport) however I may consider a few races on it? After people telling me it's a relaxed sportive genometry will it be worth doing any? Will it actually make much Of a difference to a amateur like myself? I will probably be doing rides of 30-50 miles 4 times a week. What type of milage will I have to be doing to see a advantage of the sportive frame? And finally could I make the bike more of a race if I wanted with different bars stems etc. I'm fairly new to road bike side of things, I have been riding my mtb on the roads for the last couple of years.

Also I have heard the carbon pro can snap heard a few horror stories.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Also so money is a issue can't really justify spending any more than £750 but they are on offer at the moment.

Thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Either bike will be fine - and neither is likely to snap under normal use. Get the one you like the look of...
  • mxmike1991
    Thanks, the snapping wasn't really a huge concern to be fair i was told they are cheap carbon frames and not the highest quality. But probably not a issue really!

Just would like to know if I would benefit a lot more from going carbon with the rides I do, or if so Alu rt 58 will be ample

Thanks
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    mxmike1991 wrote:
    Thanks, the snapping wasn't really a huge concern to be fair i was told they are cheap carbon frames and not the highest quality. But probably not a issue really!

Just would like to know if I would benefit a lot more from going carbon with the rides I do, or if so Alu rt 58 will be ample

Thanks
    I have just 'retired' a Pro Carbon PX - yes they are a cheap frame (it's all relative though) I ran mine through several winters (with Crud guards), it has been 'off road', thrown in and out of trains and cars too. It looks a bit beaten up now but they cope admirably. But to echo Imposter, either bike will be fine - get the one you like the look of...
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • mxmike1991
    Thanks. Is the carbon frame much superior to the alloy 58? Would I be much quicker on the carbon one? Like people I say I might be tempted to do a few events so want something that may be slightly competitive or at least not hold me back too much.
  • thepeginator
    thepeginator Posts: 147
    I'd say it's unlikely - as a beginner - that either bike will hold you back. I'd go out on a limb and say the majority of half decent road bikes these days are far more capable than the people that ride them, myself included. To be honest if there's anything about the either bike that will feel sluggish - or that you'll feel the benefit from upgrading - it's the wheels. As many have said, buy the one you like the look of and then if you get the bug and want a bit of an upgrade, wheels will be the thing to look for.
  • njm-kl
    njm-kl Posts: 1
    I have the same dilemma. I currently ride an Allez Elite of unknown year. My goal was to upgrade when I could hold 25 mph for one minute without emergency support. So, I did it. Now I'm looking at used carbon fiber with a preference toward Trek 5.9 or 6.9. Any thoughts on either bike? I don't plan on racing but it always happens - you're out riding and somebody tries to pass you.
  • mxmike1991
    Cool thanks for the advice. I reckon I'll prob alt go for the carbon now if they let me change my build, which shouldn't be a problem. I think I'll always be regretting not getting a carbon if I don't do it now. And upgrade now rather than later, will be cheaper in the long run I guess :) is the sportive frame really that much more forgiving and comfier? Would it be worth it only doing 1-2 hour rides?
  • thepeginator
    thepeginator Posts: 147
    mxmike1991 wrote:
    Cool thanks for the advice. I reckon I'll prob alt go for the carbon now if they let me change my build, which shouldn't be a problem. I think I'll always be regretting not getting a carbon if I don't do it now. And upgrade now rather than later, will be cheaper in the long run I guess :) is the sportive frame really that much more forgiving and comfier? Would it be worth it only doing 1-2 hour rides?
    Especially as someone who's not got an 'ass of steel' from years of riding, I'd suggest any amount of comfort will be appreciated on any length of ride. As many have said - either bike will be a good starting point. Neither of the frames are particularly 'high end', but the carbon one will be lighter and will most likely be slightly more comfortable.

Don't worry so much about the details, both bikes are capable machines. If having a carbon bike is more likely to make you get out the door and ride it, it's a worth while investment.

The most important thing about buying any bike - particularly your first bike - is that it fits you, no amount of nice materials or bells and whistles can compensate for that. Trying a bike before you buy it is HIGHLY advisable and a bike fit is well worth looking into. If you aren't comfortable on a bike, regardless how much you spent of it, you wont want to ride it. Remember bike 'sizing' is not as simple as 'what height are you?', I ride a bike thats 1 if not 2 sizes too small for me on paper because I'm oddly proportioned and because of the position I like to ride in, when I bought my first bike I didn't know this so ended up with a bike that was way too big for me for quite some time.

Whilst I realise the likes of planet x and ribble offer very good value for money, the problem is unless you live near by you can't sit on one before you buy it. Before you buy anything it might be worth going to a couple of local bike shops and trying a couple of bikes... make a note of the models and the size you rode and if you still want to buy the planet x after trying them then you can at least compare the geometry of the bikes you tried to make sure you get the right size!

TL:DR
    - whatever you buy for the love of god make sure it fits you properly!
  • mxmike1991
    Thanks very informative. I have upgraded to the carbon! They were very helpful, and I am off to her fitted up and see how it rides. Thought I would bit the bullet and buy the carbon.