Beginner queries

IrishStu
IrishStu Posts: 10
edited May 2016 in Road beginners
Hi folks!

I've recently taken up cycling (Monday lol) and I've completely fallen in love. I'm 24 from Derry Northern Ireland, fairly fit and looking to get into some long rides with my final goal to cycle from Limavady to Sligo, 105 miles give or take. Monday was the first time I've ever been on a race and the first time I've been on a bike in about 4 years. I headed out not knowing what to expect and returned home after chewing up 21 miles.

Tuesday my goolies and arse were a bit sore but still I managed 24 miles and last night I ended up around 23-24 miles again with what felt like quite a bit more in the tank having gotten used to the gears a little better.

I've got a few queries as a beginner that I hope you can help with. I'm currently using my neighbors bike and have no idea whether or not it's a good bike or if it's in anyway close to being "fitted" to my size but for the time being it's going to have to do. Image below -

B82bP7j.jpg

I have spoken with my boss who is going to set up the Cycle2Work scheme which will hopefully end up with me having a shiny new bike in the next 6-8 weeks. With a budget of around £550-£600 for the bike and an additional £100 or so for safety equipment etc could you guys recommend a few Sportive bikes preferably from suppliers who allow use of the scheme.

I have a 39 mile cycle lined up for Saturday morning so I can get over and watch some of the NW200 racing which I know is going to be challenging but I'm looking forward to it. For you guys who have completed 100+miles can I ask how long it took you to prepare and what kind of distances you had completed prior to doing so?

I'd appreciate any kind of help guys and sorry for rambling on I'm rather excited about cracking on and want to soak my brain with as much information as possible to help me out in these early stages.

Cheers,

Stu

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    that saddle looks like it's angled up, whilst fit is individual, it looks painful

this site has several articles on bikefit/adjustment, very pragmatic, it's worth a read
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Does your neighbour want to sell the bike to you?

It looks perfectly fine to me, and I doubt for your £500-600 you get anything better.

You've only just started. Forget about any training plans to reach your 100 mile goal. You could ride 100 miles now if you wanted. Just get out and keep enjoying it :)
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,019
    SheffSimon wrote:

It looks perfectly fine to me, and I doubt for your £500-600 you get anything better.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Level the saddle, roll the bars back a bit to get the tops flat as it looks like the hand position is going to ache after a while.

And tinsel... At this time of year???
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • IrishStu
    IrishStu Posts: 10
    SheffSimon wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Level the saddle, roll the bars back a bit to get the tops flat as it looks like the hand position is going to ache after a while.

And tinsel... At this time of year???

Tool kit will be out tonight! Cheers for spotting that I did feel slight pain in my right wrist last night on the return journey. Have to tighten the left break lever also as I can't reach it from the hooks.

BTW it's an old photo from Christmas time :D:D

SheffSimon wrote:

You've only just started. Forget about any training plans to reach your 100 mile goal. You could ride 100 miles now if you wanted. Just get out and keep enjoying it :)

Thanks for the advice! I really am enjoying it at present and I'm thinking it through so much about buying the bike with my only niggles being that there is a slight wobble in the bottom bracket (only reason I know this is from servicing spin bikes for a year) there is a significant delay when changing into gears and the tyres look very worn down. If I did purchase I'd probably end up putting new tyres on and getting a full service which will bump the price up further.

I managed a 31 miler last night with a lovely stop in the pub at the local lough watching a few little seals play around in the water, absolute bliss.

For my price range I'm looking at the Triban range, probably the 520 or 540 through the Cycle2Work scheme depending on recommendations.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,019
    Do.Not.Buy.That.Bike.

If you like it (riding) so much and the C2W scheme is available then go down that route and get something modern
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Do.Not.Buy.That.Bike.

If you like it (riding) so much and the C2W scheme is available then go down that route and get something modern

This ^. I'd not pay more than £100 or so for that bike. the C2W scheme will enable you to get a new, modern bike that fits properly.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    Fellow NI cyclist. My advice if you are going to keep at the cycling lark. Get a train to belfast once your C2W is cleared and call in to McConvey Cycles. THey will do you a bike and a fit within the 1k budget. You might spend more than you initially budgeted for as the fit is 150 pound but its thorough and the bloke knows his onions.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Agreed with the above, don't buy that bike. It's worth £100 at best. In fact if you can buy it for £100, so much the better ;)

But the best advice I can give is to save up a bit more. £500 will get you a bargain basement bike you're looking to upgrade virtually from day 1. £800 will get you something good, £1,000 will get you something great.
  • richje100
    richje100 Posts: 10
    I've got a boardman limited edition (black and yellow) 2014 paid £400 for it last July from halfords. Not had a thing go wrong apart from the usual gear adjustments after a few rides I've entered the velothon as well because I'm comfortable with the build and ride quality. Recommend this bike for beginners every time
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    edited May 2016
    Svetty wrote:
    Do.Not.Buy.That.Bike.

This ^. I'd not pay more than £100 or so for that bike. the C2W scheme will enable you to get a new, modern bike that fits properly.

Do you know that this bike can't fit as properly as a "modern" bike?

In what way would this "modern" bike be any different or offer a better ride quality?

A choice between paying a grand on a CTW scheme or £100 for this, for me I would be spending the hundred, and putting some new tyres on.

Bearing in mind the OP has been riding for 1 week, I think advocating throwing loads of cash at a new bike is a bit odd.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Left brake lever looks like it has the quick release opened on it. This opens the caliper for when you remove wheels. There should be a wee button on the top of the lever to lock it back in. I can't rightly mind the exact procedure, been a while since I footered with Campagnolo stuff.