Giant Trance.

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited May 2016 in MTB general
Hi All.

I'm Looking at buy a new 2015 Trance1 been reading reviews until my head spins, all looks good with the bike but read in a MBR test that they say the RS RT3 rear shock is soft and the suspension feels un balanced with the RS Reverlations up front, has any one got one and how does it feel ? is it just tested super hard to find the limits something which I don't think my skill level will ever do :) or is the RT3 a little lacking, I know you can get it tuned etc but the bike will be all the spare cash I have at the moment.

Thanks for any advise.

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    oxoman wrote:
    I suspect you will never ride it to the point you would notice. The guys that do the reviews for magazines etc are pro's compared to us mere mortals. Trance 1 is a good bike and you shouldn't worry about the shocks till they wear out or need a service. Just make sure you set it up to your weight etc.

While that may be true of some, many aren't as good as you think ;) I rode with a few blokes from MBR years back and easily kept up with them.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wasn't Supersonic a tester? And he looks like this.

file.php?avatar=142273_1459897967.jpg

I bet even I could beat that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Being a pro certainly is a guarantee of being a good product tester, you could be a supremely talented rider but have the writing skills of a 4 year old.
  • iwilldoit
    Hi All.

Thanks for the replies and thank you oxman for the answer I was hoping to get so I've pulled the plug and ordered one.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I've had a couple bikes with the RS Monarch RT3 shock and to be honest it's not my favourite, slightly harsh and the compression damping is a bit crude.
    Having said that though, It's a lot better than the equivalent Fox shock and if you find it a bit harsh it can be made loads better with an upgraded air can for about £70. Give it time though, all RS shocks and forks feel a bit harsh for a few rides until the seals bed in. Well worth doing a basic fork lower lube and shock air can lube after the first half dozen rides to get the best out of them. Rockshox can be a bit overly economical with the oil at the factory.
    The Trance frame is absolutely brilliant. You won't go wrong with it.
  • iwilldoit
    Well ordered the Trance from Pauls yesterday at around 3pm and to my surprise it was here at 2.45pm to day on their std postage, quite shocked but well pleased, I'm rather looking forward to this weekend :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Great bike. Enjoy :-)