Braking performance

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Just switched from my old Carrera hard tail to a trance. I really love the trance apart from the braking performance. I've bled both brakes and it has made a bit of difference but hard tail stopped so much better - both using Deore m615 and shimano pads. The trance is 180/160 and the hard tail 160/160. So where to go?

Do I go 180 on the back or do I go 203 front and switch the 180 to the back? Is there a better option?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Did you bed the pads in when you got the bike?
    It makes a difference to subsequent performance.

Also are you sure there is no pad or disc contamination?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • mathematics
    Yeah pads were bedded and the brakes were bled properly done this a few times on this type of brake.

I' don't think there are any leaks but I'll check.

Never thought about contamination - how stupid of me!! I'll clean up discs and pads with brake cleaner - see how that goes
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639

Never thought about contamination - how stupid of me!! I'll clean up discs and pads with brake cleaner - see how that goes

Don't use brake cleaner, use some IPA (isopropyl alcohol) to clean the discs a much better product to use as it doesn't leave any residue on the brake surface.

What brakes are on the bike and is it new as shouldn't need to bleed new brakes?

I think you may need to swap out the pads for some better aftermarket ones from superstar, uberbike etc as I wasn't that impressed with the supplied shimano pads that came on my bike.
  • mathematics
    It's new and My rear had to be bled as lost all pressure in the lever. I've got some isopropyl so I'll give that a go.

Brakes are deore m615, really like these brakes had them on my hard tail.

I have some Kevlar pads as spares so if cleaning doesn't work I'll pop those in, but like i say on my hard tail with shimano pads the braking was much better.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    The Wife has a Trance with Deore m615's and im impressed, they seem to be holding as well as my SLX brakes if not better!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube