£350ish wheel/tyre upgrade

its_woody_uk
its_woody_uk Posts: 24
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to hopefully upgrade the Shimano RS11 running Schwalbe Lugano's that came with my Cannondale.
I have around £350 to spend, happy to go a little over, even happier to go lower.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Have a think about what you want from the wheels/tyres, what your priorities are, what kind of riding you do and then use the search feature. Wheels and tyres come up all the time.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Unless there's something you really don't like about the RS11s I'd just switch to a better tyre, again loads of threads already, and wear out the wheels you've got. (mind you, my RS10s are still going strong after 8 years and only needed one spoke and a change of bearings...)

Alternatively if you're desperate to spend the money, quickly sell the RS11s while they are still new to offset the cost of the replacements.

As above, you need to decide what your criteria are.

Lightness above all else? - very light wheels aren't the most durable
    Aero benefits?
    Bling? - this is a serious point
    Do you want to run tubeless or even tubs?
    Carbon (for the sound effects as much as anything...)
    Durability - how much do you weigh and how rubbish are the roads where you ride?
    Carbon or alloy brake track?
    Repairability? - are proprietary parts readily available at sensible cost?

If I was spending that much on wheels I'd probably go for handbuilts from CycleClinic since he's local to me, and I'd take his advice on choice of components, spoke counts etc. But I value practicality over bling...
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Lots of considerations.
    If you go with handbuilts you will get good advice and something that will fit your needs.
    Buying off the shelf - maybe consider some Fulcrum Quattro LG's (a little heavier but more aero) or 5 LG's (a little lighter and less aero) with some good tyres like GP4000 s.
  • I'm looking for something fairly light, I don't weigh an awful amount and the roads round here aren't too bad. I'm going to swap the RS11's onto my old bike which is due an upgrade.

Thanks for your advice.
  • thepeginator
    thepeginator Posts: 147
    I've got Cero AR30s and they're cracking wheels, very light, very stiff. They are narrow by modern standards but that's not a deal breaker just something to be aware of, they do a wider version as well for a slight weight penalty as well as the AR24 which doesn't give away much in the weight stakes but is a lot cheaper and they all come with quality tyres. 'HUNT' are also worth a look.
  • gratziani
    gratziani Posts: 46
    https://www.merlincycles.com/fulcrum-ra ... 86056.html

tyres as well etc ,

I also have handbuilt at that price point , h-son with Miche hubs for around 300 from the Cycle clinic lovely wheels pain free riding for two and a half years