Shopping list for a tubeless conversion

goldeneye243
goldeneye243 Posts: 19
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I was wondering what I need for a tubeles conversion on a set of 3T accelero Team wheels.

Do I need the full cyclocross notubes kit? The rims are 23mm wide.

Also is it a good idea!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would not bother getting a kit.
    Stan's one I saw (MTB) had a silly rubber band with the valve on, but you still needed to use tape.

Tape (unless they are already taped or do not need tape because there are no spoke holes to tape).
    Valves.
    Sealant.
    Track pump or Co2.

Pull the tape (if you need it) nice and tight.
    I overlap valve hole and then make a nice neat hole in it.

Think that about covers it.

I think its a very good idea on any off road bike personally.
    I think butyl tubes are getting to be a bit prehistoric on any bike these days.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Instead of a track pump/co2 inflators, check out the 'homemade tubeless tyre inflator' hacks on YouTube. I've made one myself and used it several times now, worked consistently well each time with very rapid inflation which makes seating the tyre much easier than when I'd tried a track pump. Otherwise, Stans rim tape and Stans valves as above. Hargroves Cycles were the cheapest online when I bought some last month. Sorted.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Good call, but a track pump should easily do CX tyres.

I was going to adapt a garden spray thingy but ended up using Co2 on my fat bike as I just wanted them done.
    I am pretty sure I could have done the fat bike with a track pump as they were that easy!

There are a few tricks that you can use on bigger tyres, but CX ones should be a doddle.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Make sure that you have a tight tyre bead / rim fit as that's absolutely critical - after taping the rim, fit the tyre and install a tube. Inflate tyre and then deflate - if the tyre bead stays secure when pinched firmly then it'll probably be OK. If loose, apply a further wrap of tape to build-up the rim. I've fitted 5" fatbike tyres tubeless only using a trackpump - skinny tyres are a doddle in comparison.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..