Continental 4 Seasons - which size

llyamah
llyamah Posts: 32
edited June 2016 in Commuting chat
After much deliberation on my part, I've decided to put some Continental 4 Seasons tyres on my Giant Defy 0. Question is: what size do I go for? 25c or 28c? I hear these tyres come out a bit on the narrow side.

I don't really know what I'm doing here (the defy is my first 'proper' bike and I've not even got it yet) so any advice would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    On 21mm rims they come out wide enough.

I swapped 25mm for 28mm on my CX this winter and it felt slower. Caveat; I am currently slower.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • llyamah
    So you'd advise that I go for the 25?
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I run 19mm rim width with 28mm Conti GP4season and they measure 28mm on the bike. I like them - ride nicely and relatively few visits. Durano Plus are nice as well - and there is a now 28mm for the Durano DD
  • asprilla
    llyamah wrote:
    So you'd advise that I go for the 25?

Yeah. I've used 25mm 4Seasons for years. Trying 28mm was an experiment and I'm not going to do it again.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • llyamah
    Many thanks for the responses.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,575
    25s ftw.
  • I read everywhere on the 'net that Four Seasons is the best tyre there is! My impression is Four Seasons gets more love than Grand Theft Auto Five!! Seriously!! Four Season is the God of all tyres!
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    edited June 2016
    I read everywhere on the 'net that Four Seasons is the best tyre there is! My impression is Four Seasons gets more love than Grand Theft Auto Five!! Seriously!! Four Season is the God of all tyres!
    That's because the net archives everything for ever. Durano Pro are the new Four Season. Same handling and rolling resistance, better puncture resistance and more durable. The Four Season's Achilles heel is its sidewalls, particularly next to the the bead where it's abraded by the rim. The vast majority of my 4 Seasons died due to a catastrophic failure at this point. I'd recommend the 25mm Durano Pro.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    They're the best tyres ever until you ride the Michelin Pro4 Endurance, which really are.

And I was a victim of the 4 Seasons sidewall failure - in the middle of nowhere in Portugal, had to tear up a fag packet found by the side of the road to provide enough support inside the tyre to be able to reinflate the new tube and get back to base.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've read a few articles / posts where the 28mm GP4S measured less than 27mm on a normal, narrow rim. My 25s measure 26, so I'd suggest those. I've been running 25mm GP4S on the winter bike for 9 years and not had any sidewall failures, but they don't look particularly robust there I have to say. First set I wore right down to the carcass and still no punctures.

Downside is the price which has become a bit silly now, so I'm going to try the Michelin Pro4 Endurance when this set wears out.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    25s GP4S on my winter bike, wider would make clearances for mudguards and the frame rather too tight.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    I've been a long time GP4S fan (25s) and have recently tried Pro 4SC and Durano Plus. I have to say I've not been that impressed with either. The Pro 4s look as if they'll last forever but just feel a bit uninspiring. The Duranos just feel crap.

I think I'll be going back to the GP4S. They may not last as long but I'm not spending every ride wishing they'd wear out quicker so I can replace them!
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • asprilla
    I'm currently experimenting with Panaracer RaceD Evo 2s on the Genesis, GP4Ss on the Canyon and Durano Plus in the SS.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    GP4S did not last for me; it cut up Much faster than previous Fortezza All Weather on the same commutes and eventually blew out after checking for major cuts that very morning. Size probably depends on your commute surface, and for longer weekend rides on nice tarmac 28 mil would, probably, be a bit of a wasted effort.