Long Weekend from Geneva

YIMan
YIMan Posts: 576
edited May 2016 in Holidays
Hi all

A friend and I have Geneva flights booked to from Thursday to Monday this summer to allow 4 days riding in the Alps.

We're basically looking for somewhere close(ish) to Geneva with a decent range of lift-assisted enduro type riding where we can (ideally) get transfers (we're taking our own bikes) and a few nights bike-friendly accommodation and a couple of beers on the nights (so not a summer ghost-town ski-resort).

We've done Portes du Soleil a couple of times so want to try somewhere different. It seems to be a bit of a struggle to meet all the requirements so wondered if anyone can help.

I've so far explored:
Verbier - meets riding and beer requirements but would probably have to get a hire car as transfers seem to be limited to extortionate private ones. Not sure about accommodation.
Grand Massif (probably Samoens/Morillon) - Ok for distance/transfers and riding but not sure about accommodation and it might be deathly quiet?
Chamonix - Ok for transfers and accommodation and beer.....but riding bitty and spread out requiring road-riding between separate areas?

Has anyone got any better ideas for any of the "missing/not sure" things in the above or can recommend somewhere else?

Comments

• tourdriving
    tourdriving Posts: 228
    Maybe this site will help you http://www.lake-geneva-switzerland.com/ look under activities for bike routes
    https://tourdriving.wordpress.com bike hire and travel links, in 47 countries http://ukbikerentals.com UK Bike & Motorcycle hire in Counties after ABC
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Samoens area is beautiful with good riding on and off road, there are plenty of bars and restaurants but it's not as noisy as say Morzine or even Les Gets. I like to relax in the village square in the evening with a few pints :)
  • YIMan
    Thanks...Samoens looks good. I've skied the area so know it a bit. Any tips for accomodation?
  • dodgy
    We only ever stay in rented chalets, not too sure about hotels etc.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Defo 2nd Samoens,rode there 3 years ago and loved it more chilled out atmosphere and enduro styled trails,make it a winner for me,if going in june Chamonix would be worth considering,alot of bike trails are not meant to used in july/august,you can get the Chamonix bike book for a guide around the area,the place is stunning but pricey,I'm going back to both this summer but will be camping again,sure you can find some half decent priced accommodation via google
  • YIMan
    Thanks! Samoens it is. Booked here:

http://www.renardiere.com/en/ete/chalet.aspx
  • dodgy
    Looks amazing, when do you get there? We arrive in mid July.
  • YIMan
    30th June...leave 4th July.....can't wait :D
  • eric_draven
    1st week of August for me,just a couple of days there this year no road riding there this time,saving that till i leave and head down to Bourg D' Oiasans
  • dodgy
    The tour rolls into town on the 24th of July, I know this is the MTB forum, but it's still quite a spectacle.

Enjoy Samoens, it's stunning.
  • eric_draven
    dodgy wrote:
    The tour rolls into town on the 24th of July, I know this is the MTB forum, but it's still quite a spectacle.

Will be watching it go up to Servoz on the Friday and then over the Col du Joux Plane on the Saturday,last climb of this years tour,the Joux Plane is a brutal climb not over long but steep,I did this and the Joux Verte Morzine to Avoriaz on the same day,a tough day on the bike26860315210_56f2812c36_b.jpgThe Joux Plane by future primitive 184, on Flickr
  • YIMan
    dodgy wrote:

Cheers! Shame I didn't time it better but it was dependent on the Mrs' shifts.....and I was lucky enough to see the Tour climb Alpe D'Huez twice, on Dutch corner, in 2013.
  • eric_draven
    YIMan wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

Cheers! Shame I didn't time it better but it was dependent on the Mrs' shifts.....and I was lucky enough to see the Tour climb Alpe D'Huez twice, on Dutch corner, in 2013.

Watched it at turn 6 the next one up to Dutch,the party was in full swing when I pedalled though,looked like carnage when I came back through on the way down,was a great idea of them doing it twice in one day