New bike frame what to go for??

Bluem00n81
Bluem00n81 Posts: 7
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I've been riding for about two years now and have a sc heckler which now I've got into biking more I feel is a bit to much for what I need, so I've sold my frame and after a new frame something less travel and lighter.
Now I'm looking at Something from Lapierre, yeti, intense or SC as these are what my local shop does and want to stick with him.
I mainly ride cliff paths, so granite rocks, steps etc.
I've looked at the yeti ASRc, Lapierre Xm ultimate, intense spider 27.5 c and SC 5010
So what you think?

Thanks

Comments

• Bluem00n81
    Well there the brands I'm looking at as so guess I'm going to have a bad bike then
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    None of those particular bikes. The Santa Cruz Tallboy would be the top choice. Really excellent xc/trail bike. Absolutely brilliant to ride.
    The 5010 may have less suspension travel than the Heckler but if anything it's probably a harder hitting trail bike.
    I wouldn't have anything from Lappierre, they've lost the plot in recent years.
    Intense are good if you don't mind your frame being crooked. It's uncommon to find that after a year either the pivots are coming undone or you just can't get them apart because nothing is properly straight from the factory. But they are hand built with pride in the United States of America.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd agree with RMSC on the Tallboy over the 5010, or possibly the Hightower which falls between the two somewhat.

Not sure why he's not mentioned the Yeti which is conceptually fairly close to the Tallboy (if anything a little more XC biased) but does limit you on wheel size against a frame size while the TB you can have any frame size as 27.5 or 29.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Bluem00n81
    Looking at the tallboy now, was hoping to use my old stuff on new frame. Just worried with 29er as heard you have to lean/ work it more to get round corners .
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not quite how I'd describe it, I just find them a bit slower to turn (although G2 geometry is meant to help this) and it just added a slightly cumbersome feeling. They also accelerate slightly slower due to the increased rotational inertia but that's only really noticeable off the line when you would accelerate fastest.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Modern 29ers handle very well. The early ones didn't steer well and felt cumbersome but the geometry has evolved to overcome that.
    You will notice the difference in tight switchbacks but to be honest, a 27.5" enduro bike with a super long wheelbase and slack steering is much worse and no one complains about them.
  • Bluem00n81
    Confused to much choice out there!!
    I like the look of the tallboy but really like the lines of the yeti ASRc in 29er but wonder if 102mm rear 130 front will be enough esp if ever decide to go over to the alps and do some stuff there no downhill mind u
  • rockmonkeysc
    Depends where you go in the Alps. At Chatel you'd definitely want something bigger but if you went to Les Arcs for back country single track then the Yeti or Tallboy would be spot on.
    I've ridden in Les Arcs and didn't find 120mm restrictive at all.
    You'd be surprised what a top quality, short travel bike is capable of these days.