Diverge vs Jamis Renegade vs GT Grade vs Norco Search

SpiderJ
SpiderJ Posts: 14
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for an all-road/adventure bike on the basis that it's basically a sportive bike with better clearance.

I have narrowed down my options to 4:

Jamis Renegade Expert 105
https://www.evanscycles.com/jamis-reneg ... e-EV245159

Specialized Diverge Comp Smartweld
https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... e-EV244933

GT Grade Carbon 105
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-grade-carbon-105-2016/

Norco Search Carbon 105
https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-searc ... e-EV243354

I have test-ridden all of them apart from the GT Grade - and not much in it from what I can tell. All but the Spesh are carbon, all running Shimano 105 with hydraulic disc brakes.

Any thoughts on which one to go for? Most important is the quality of the frame, comfort for long-sportives, but also able to put a bit of zip on when needed.

ta

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    It's hard to see past the Jamis at that price. I bought one a while ago (at the old price before they were discounted) and I'm really happy with it. I've put my favourite saddle on it, switched the tyres to Spec Roubaix 30s and it's just a great, go anywhere bike, which is no slouch on smooth roads either. I looked at the same bikes as you before buying.
  • geode
    geode Posts: 25
    The Jamis Renegade on the evans web-site appears to be cable disc breaks
  • Can only comment on the Grade, which for winter/wet commuting has been brilliant. Running with 30mm S-Ones.

I got the Ultegra mainly for the wheels and hubs wasn't fussed about Ultegra vs 105

I got the 2016 from a local not GT bike shop for £2200 inc a tyre swap to tubeless and mudguards fitted

It is slower than an out and out road bike, and rides similar to my old Roubaix. Just as smooth, if not better. Not sure I would have it as my only bike but spent 3000 happy miles on it with full mudguards through the winter.
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    geode wrote:
    if you read the questions on the site then it says that these are the mid season upgrade bikes with full shimano hydraulic brakes and a proper axle on the rear

HTH
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If its full Hydro and duel thru axle then the Jamis seems a great deal.

Personally I would pay the extra and get the Norco though I think (subject to seeing them in the flesh and having a quick ride).

Norco bikes are always better than Jamis IMO/IME, Its a more premium brand (IMO) and I like the fact that the Norco was designed around the Full Hydro and Through axle rather than it being an afterthought.

GT Grade is a very acquired taste design wise, and I would not entertain an aluminum Specialized personally.
  • pigeontoes
    pigeontoes Posts: 73
    I considered most of your options but in the end went for the Kona Roadhouse, which I am very happy with. It is probably slightly heavier than all of your choices but having easy to fit full mudguards and the ability to mount a proper rear rack were key for me.

Even the Specialized shop admitted the diverge mudguards were kludge and pray rather than plug and play.

Personally, I didn't like the look of the Norco Search. GT Grade is a nice bike. Haven't seen the Jamis.

Finally thing that swung it for me was ordering on Black Friday and getting 20% off which made the Kona £1,360.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    SpiderJ wrote:
    I'm looking for an all-road/adventure bike on the basis that it's basically a sportive bike with better clearance.

I.......................
    Any thoughts on which one to go for? Most important is the quality of the frame, comfort for long-sportives, but also able to put a bit of zip on when needed.

ta

Those are best bought on the basis that they are capable of going off tarmac rather than as a sportive bike with better clearance. That may be what you intend in which case it looks a fair list - if you are actually looking for a bike to ride sportives on though something like the GT Grade will not be as lively as a road bike with a slightly more endurance biased geometry.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yeah, I would not get any of them unless you want to go way off the tarmac path.
    Just get a road bike that can take 28mm tyres.

They just won't cut it as sportive bikes, and unless you plan to be swapping tyres or wheels all the time then you won't have anything bigger than 28mm on there anyway.
  • imposter2.0
    Carbonator wrote:
    Norco bikes are always better than Jamis IMO/IME, Its a more premium brand (IMO) and I like the fact that the Norco was designed around the Full Hydro and Through axle rather than it being an afterthought.

Not sure I understand what you are saying. The Jamis has been designed to accept discs and thru-axles from the outset - these are not 'afterthoughts'. The cable/hose routing is all internal anyway, and is agnostic to whatever type of disc system is fitted.
  • imposter2.0
    geode wrote:

As mentioned - this was subject to a mid-season upgrade to full hydro. Although they are still using the old pic, which doesn't help....
  • I do beg to differ on the GT, I am averaging a decent speed to and from work on 30mm tyres with a slight nobble, I reckon it is about 1-1.5mph slower, and also think a shift to 25mm would speed it up a bit. I do agree it is an aquirred taste in the looks department, and one I have not acquired. I don't sit there eyeing it up like I do my other bike, but then I don't see it when I am on it. It serve its purpose for me, and personally found it much better than a CX bike I bought to do the same job a few years ago.

Will find out next week as I am going to break out the Cannondale SuperSix from hibernation.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I have the diverge you list and use it as my all year round road bike. On road it is very smooth and for me compared to my previous road bike the diverge is much faster downhill, similar on the flat and a little slower up hill. At the weekend i took it for a three hour ride half on and half off road. It handles fine off road unless it gets rough and being able to speed quickly between off road sections is very handy. The big plus for me appart from the flexibility is the r785 brakes which are very good.
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Have the Jamis Renegade Expert and it does come with hydraulic discs now.

Thru-axles front and rear - always had at the front and updated this year for rear too.

Evans fitted SKS mudguards and swapped the brake handing over for me (I use front brake on left hand).

Great bike and can also take a rack (top mount is mudguard eye on "brake" bridge.

Has an incredible ability to soak up rough surfaces and remain sure footed. Even with the heavy Clement Xplor USH (rigid version), it can still corner well and inspire confidence. The wheel and tyre mass does make it harder work climbing, but they are similar to those fitted to other bikes at this level.

With the price drop down to £1,400 it is a great buy and I couldn't find any real reason to consider the Elite at £2,699.

I narrowed down my choices to the Jamis or the Norco, but the Jamis versatility won the day and my decision was made even better when Evans confirmed that mine would get the reduced price having ordered it at the original list price.

It has effectively made my road bike, mountain bike and hybrid all largely redundant as it can take on so many different roles.