Off the shelf or custom bike???

ExCyclist
ExCyclist Posts: 336
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Now with a title like that many people would be saying "Custom Bike", without any hesitation and I'd normally agree BUT here's the rub;-

I'm 95% certain of buying a new bike in the next 60 days (which is good for me). However this is my choice list

Orro Gold or Oxygen
Custom built Kinesis (very light Alu frame with parts to my spec)
Storck Visioner C

All of these bikes are either immense or can be. However I'm really intrigued by going custom with the Kinesis and having a one off for me with no other person having that bike.

Opinions please.

Comments

• animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    Sounds like you're going for custom parts and a stock frame.

Slightly more expensive, and only worth it if you want something specific.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Only reason I can see to buy a custom is if you have unusual body dimensions or need to find a type of bike that isn't available as a standard such as needing special braze-ons or heavy duty or lighter construction. Plenty of great off-the-shelf bikes available and less expensive than custom. If you want to select particular components most shops will swap parts for a small charge which can still be less expensive than buying frame and kit separately.
  • Putting different parts on a frame does not make it a custom bike. I mean, if you change the stem length of a bike by 10mm, does it become a custom build?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Unless you get a custom frame it's not a custom bike.

Do what you want but you do pay more than accepting the standard version.

If you truly want something special go to a frame builder and get a made to measure frame with your own paint job. Otherwise it's not custom.

There's no real need for custom these days I think.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    Leaving the semantics about what is or is not a custom build to one side...

For me, the small extra cost of picking all the parts to go with a frame of your choice over and above an off the shelf model is well worth it.

That way, you can select every component to suit your particular needs, from handlebar width and reach, stem length and saddle type down to crank length, gear ratios and tyre width. If you shop around there are always bargains to be had. At the end of it, you'll end up with a bike that is unique to you, even if it can't be described as fully custom.

Just look at the number of people who come on this forum looking for advice about upgrades to brand new bikes. Why not start off with a bike you are 100% happy with. Plus you will find the process of researching and selecting your components is enjoyable and informative. Just starting with the wheels there is so much to learn.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    ^ pretty much everything that MrB says.

Most of the bikes I have ever bought have been bought as framesets and then built up from there.

It costs more generally, but you end up with something that suits your needs much better. There's never any compromise.

I enjoy the process of deciding what bits to hang on the frame.

Is it custom? Yes, no, really doesn't matter. It's unique and fit for the purposes you intend to use it for.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    I enjoy building my own bikes up, as mentioned above you can pick and choose your components. With careful buying it needn't cost any more than an off the shelf bike at list price. When I built my MTB I even built my own wheels. But for me a large part of the enjoyment is putting it all together, it feels more like it's my bike. A bit daft I know.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I enjoy building my own bikes up, as mentioned above you can pick and choose your components. With careful buying it needn't cost any more than an off the shelf bike at list price. When I built my MTB I even built my own wheels. But for me a large part of the enjoyment is putting it all together, it feels more like it's my bike. A bit daft I know.

As above, on every bike I've owned, I've bought a frameset (or had one built) and then bought all the parts and built it myself. Then I know it has been built correctly, and I like doing it.....and it's also easy to choose Campag when you build it yourself :)
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Build it yourself to your specification if you are so inclined, a very satisfying thing to do IMO.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    DJ58 wrote:
    Build it yourself to your specification if you are so inclined, a very satisfying thing to do IMO.

+1 I only started building my own bikes about 5 years ago.

Have completed builds on steel, alloy and carbon frames, both standard and disc brake versions. All-in-all I'm convinced I haven't saved a great deal if anything at all. However, I've had the satisfaction of completing something to a specification that I controlled as well as gaining knowledge and experience along the way.

Plenty of cracking framesets out there in a range of materials that could be built up to give you something, maybe not unique, but still specced as you want
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    If you're going down the self-build route, Campag is the only way. Otherwise you might as well get off the shelf.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • ExCyclist
    ExCyclist Posts: 336
    MrB123 wrote:
    Leaving the semantics about what is or is not a custom build to one side...

For me, the small extra cost of picking all the parts to go with a frame of your choice over and above an off the shelf model is well worth it.

That way, you can select every component to suit your particular needs, from handlebar width and reach, stem length and saddle type down to crank length, gear ratios and tyre width. If you shop around there are always bargains to be had. At the end of it, you'll end up with a bike that is unique to you, even if it can't be described as fully custom.

Just look at the number of people who come on this forum looking for advice about upgrades to brand new bikes. Why not start off with a bike you are 100% happy with. Plus you will find the process of researching and selecting your components is enjoyable and informative. Just starting with the wheels there is so much to learn.

Precisely why I'm probably moving towards the Kinesis Aithein frame and fork combo with the bike built up to a spec I'm happy with. Super light alloy I reckon could be quite the ride.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I design and commission my own frames in titanium as well as source all the parts and build them myself - my last build was £2.5k but would have cost about £5k retail for a similar spec. It is now 16 months old and I designed features that the big brands are only just bringing out on their new models
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Having done both, my preference would be to build my own, reasons being is that when you buy an off the peg bike (as I did with my last one) you always end up changing the stem/bars/saddle/seatpost and then unless you’re lucky changing the bar tape. Then usually you will put on better wheels as 9 times out of 10 the stock ones are basic/heavy/flexible to say the least as this is where the manufacturer can save money and make more profit on RRP (how many times do you see a £2.5k bike advertised with Full Ultegra groupset, but with basic wheels?), then finally you will almost certainly change the rubber to something better, leaving you with the original frameset and groupset and a load of new (but technically used) inferior parts.

If you buy a frameset and are prepared to shop about for stuff to hang on it and build yourself I actually don’t think it does work out more expensive than buying off the peg, and as has been mentioned in this thread you don’t compromise on spec.

For example

Off the Peg

Genesis Zero Z.2 with Ultegra 6800 groupset, Fulcrum racing 7’s, conti grand sport tyres and Genesis finishing kit - £2099.99

Self-build

Genesis Zero Z.i frameset with Ultegra groupset, Fulcrum Racing Quattro LG, Schwalbe Durano tyres, Zipp SC SL bars/stem/seatpost, Lizard Skins tape, Fabric Scoop Elite saddle - £2070.46

Self-build has better wheels, better tyres (IMO), better bars/stem/seatpost and my personal fav saddle and comes in cheaper than the stock bike!

Go on build, enjoy it!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!