Panic !!! Dropped some cyanoacrylate glue on my carbon frame

Devastazione2
Devastazione2 Posts: 98
edited May 2016 in Workshop
I was fixing my son wooden toy and accidentally dropped a drop of Loctite Super Attack glue ( cyanoacrylate) on my chainstay...:cry in:. Bike is 5 days old. Any possible issues in the long run ?

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Gluing carbon fibre video here, may or may not calm you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVmHDLPc2YA
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,161
    it has poor resistance to acetone, you should be able to remove it ok, soak a bit of rough cloth and wipe hard

acetone flashes off quite fast, so you may need several passes to remove the glue

first of all, test on an out of the way bit of the frame to make sure the paint/clearcoat isn't affected by aectone, but i'd think you'll be ok, it's often recommended for degreasing cf rims

do all this in a well ventilated area, let the cloth dry fully before disposing of it, acetone is benign compared to some solvents, but i'd still wear plastic gloves to prevent it stripping oils from your skin
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Super glue on a brand new, probably waxy gloss finish - shouldn't really bond that well. Might succumb to a fingernail.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I was fixing my son wooden toy and accidentally dropped a drop of Loctite Super Attack glue ( cyanoacrylate) on my chainstay...:cry in:. Bike is 5 days old. Any possible issues in the long run ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEqHJ1tomnk
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    A spot of glue on the chainstay, Lord oh Lordy!

Personally, I would just put up with it. Let's face it, the thing is a bloody bike and trying to lift the glue could go Pete Tong. Your bike will pick up scuffs and scrapes throughout its life, learn to accept them and gaze on each with a rueful smile..."ah, that big scratch on the headtube, I remember that was the time I got my line all wrong and stacked it big time in Yorkshire", that kind of thing.
  • Bike is not glossy but matte finish,I won't try any nail polish thing as I'm afraid it will cloud the paint or something. Well given it's a Specialized paint/finish wich has a notoriusly SHITTY quality maybe my best bet is to leave it there without trying any acetone or similar . Lucky point : it fell right behind the big ring,so is barely visible.
    My fear is if the glue may be somehow aggressive on the carbon fiber in the long run but it dosen't sounds so..
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Any possible issues in the long run ?

No, nothing to worry about. As mentioned acetone dissolves superglue. Hard to know if your particular paint will be affected by a short application of acetone but try dabbing it with a cotton swap if it really bothers you. I would just leave it.
  • Olas
    Olas Posts: 54
    I'd leave it. I'll be corrected but done model makers use cyanoacrylate to bond carbon fibre on things like model aeroplanes?
    Should'nt have any issues on the carbon fibre then!
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Theres only one solution for your problem, new bike. Yes I know its a new bike but its damaged/tarnished now and so you need another new one. That one can be your winter hack seeing as its ruined already.