105 5800 Trim not working

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited May 2016 in Workshop
The trim on my front mech shifter seems to have stopped working as it should.

I can shift between all four positions when downshifting, but when upshifting I have to push the shifter past the trim position (just a bit) in order for it to get into the correct position. If I push it until I feel the light click, it hasn't moved far enough.

Once I have pushed the lever just past the trim position, the mech sits nicely in place (and stays there).

I have replaced the cable, and this had no effect. Could it be an iffy front shifter?

Comments

• fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Sounds like you need to tighten the cable a touch, hopefully you have barrel adjusters on your frame or inline ones.
  • gcwebbyuk
    I do, and they are all tweaked to the right tension. As mentioned, when shifting down from top to low trim, the mech stops in the correct position. It is only when shifting up from low to low-trim. If you watch the mech it barely moves.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Is there some sponginess in the cable routing? e.g. on my TT bike, I can never get the largest rear cog - it has internal routing, and as the tension on the cable increases towards the big cog, the internal sheathing flexes and it loses some of the cable pull and hence doesn't get there. I've tried everything and now just live with it :(
  • gcwebbyuk
    yeah you may well be right there. It is internal routing, and goes via a plasticy rubber cable guide under the bottom bracket - which does appear to have a bit of flex to it.