Shoes.... Dilemma

Jafaremraf
Jafaremraf Posts: 26
edited June 2016 in Road beginners
I currently ride my road bike fitted with Look Easy Keo pedals wearing Specialized Torch shoes. I'm not a confident rider, having rarely ridden a bike until my later years and only went clipless after many recommended it as a way to avoid numb feet. I admit the numbness is nowhere near as bad and I do find using clipless pedals is good, but then my lack of confidence kicks in on unfamiliar roads and I start stressing about hills where I may have to stop, either at a junction or because I just can't get up the hill! I once had to stop on a hill on a narrow road because of a car, which wasn't great, but then I couldn't get going again without my foot slipping off the pedal because I couldn't get it clipped in quick enough.... And then I'd stall.

Another thing that helped with numbness was wearing thinner socks. So now I'm thinking for winter that I would be better with a bigger shoe and thicker socks and I'm wondering whether to stick with the pedal/cleat system I currently have, or whether to try a mountain bike shoe with spd pedals.... I don't have experience of them, but I imagine they may be more forgiving and easier to use as if I'm in a situation where I don't feel confident I can unclip and use the flat side of the pedal. I should add I have 2 bikes.... A new one I'll use for fine summer riding, and my old one now fitted with mud guards for winter/wet riding.

Anyone have any advice or comments on whether this seems a good or bad idea....

Thanks

Comments

• frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    SPDs are nice on a winter bike. They aren't really easier or harder to get your feet into than look pedals but being able to walk normally is convenient.

Clipless pedals are practice and confidence.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    SPD pedals would help over the winter. The cleat is recessed so walking is easier and you can get SPD pedals with a platform around the binding which would allow you to pedal without being clipped in.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m424-spd-pedals/

That said if you practice a bit more and learn to look ahead when coming to hills and junctions both to anticipate having to unclip or get into a lower gear you will get used to them.

Anticipation is the key.
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    Have a look at some mountain bike pedals as your able to rotate your foot both ways to realease and as mentioned you can actually walk in the shoes as the cleat is recessed
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    There's no real difference between ease of clipping into/out of between road pedals and MTB ones. As you already have road shoes I'd just practice more until it is second nature.
    On hills just turn across (or down) the hill for a couple of yards til you clip in then turn round and head uphill.

The other thing to practice is being able to do track stands - not because it is cool (it isn't) but because being confident that you can balance at very low speeds will help you avoid that panicky 'un-clip that fails' moment. There aren't many hills you can't cycle up when you can effectively stop and rest every half turn of the cranks :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Svetty wrote:
    There's no real difference between ease of clipping into/out of between road pedals and MTB ones.

Apart from all MTB pedals being double sided and road not normally ?

Get SPD's or similar. Double sided so a doddle to get in with. Even if you didn't click in you'll still be able to cycle if you ride with grippy mtb shoes.

I ride 80% of the year with cheap MTB shoes and the road pedals only come out on the road bike for the nice weather/races.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Get some Candy 1 pedals and MTB/SPD shoes.

Don't be tempted by the draw of Shimano and the hundreds of sheep that will bleat about them.

Don't get 'duel' sided pedals (they are for when you ride one bike with different shoes) as this will only complicate things unnecessarily.
    It sounds a good idea in the pub, but its not that great out on the bike.

If you really cannot use Candy 1's, then give up on clipping in and get studded MTB pedals to use with trainers or similar shoes designed specifically to use with them.

Track stands lol :roll:
  • Jafaremraf
    Thanks all.... Had a bad stationery fall recently when foot accidentally clipped back in just as I was about to put my foot to the ground. Considering I had stopped, I went with a crash, buckled the front wheel and suffered bruises and the pain still hurts now a few weeks later! So track stands..... No thank you!

I think all things considered and with the majority of the recommendations going with MTB / SPD for winter riding, I'll look at that option .... And then just get braver, ha ha!

Thanks again....
  • Anonymous
    Don't forget that SPD is just a Shimano trademark and a lot of people use it to include SPD compatable pedals such as Egg Beaters/Candy 1's etc.

I am not anti Shimano (all my road pedals are Shimano) but the Crank Brothers mechanism is a better design and slightly easier to use IMO.

I won't go into why that is, but if you want easy, you really should make the effort to try them :wink:
  • Jafaremraf
    Carbonator wrote:
    Don't forget that SPD is just a Shimano trademark and a lot of people use it to include SPD compatable pedals such as Egg Beaters/Candy 1's etc.

I am not anti Shimano (all my road pedals are Shimano) but the Crank Brothers mechanism is a better design and slightly easier to use IMO.

I won't go into why that is, but if you want easy, you really should make the effort to try them :wink:
    I've been looking at the Candy 1's having read an earlier post .... They look interesting and certainly an option worth considering, thanks 8)
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I've used CB Candy and Mallets on the MTB but on my Winter/CX bike I use CB Eggbeaters.By far the easiest to clip in and out of IMO.
    I don't find my Look Keo particularly difficult to use but they're not as easy as the Eggbeaters.You can also change the unclip angle on Eggbeaters from 20degs to 15degs by fitting the cleat with the dots on the opposite shoe(I've forgotten which way is which)15degrees is only a very short twist of the foot.
  • Anonymous
    Just been out on my bike with Candy 1's and you can barely feel the mech when you clip out.

The only way it could feel less mechanical a disconnection is if someone invented a system that used electro magnets that sensed when you twisted your foot!

I have never used Keo Easy pedals, but I severely doubt they feel like my Candy 1's did just now, so to say MTB are not easier to clip out of is b0ll0cks IMO.
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    Carbonator wrote:
    The only way it could feel less mechanical a disconnection is if someone invented a system that used electro magnets that sensed when you twisted your foot!
    Not electromagnets, but here's something http://www.maglockbikepedal.com/
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Carbonator wrote:
    .... Candy 1 pedals.....

lol :roll: :mrgreen:

There are lots of opinions about this - most people just get used to whatever system they use and then recommend this. Personally I find riding with SPDs less comfortable than road pedals/cleats.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    I think you'd be better off learning how to clip in better with your existing pedals.

You look more of a player, and it's cheaper.
  • Anonymous
    Svetty wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    .... Candy 1 pedals.....

There are lots of opinions about this - most people just get used to whatever system they use and then recommend this. Personally I find riding with SPDs less comfortable than road pedals/cleats.....

I use DA pedals so you got that wrong in my case :wink:

Not sure how SPD's are less comfortable either, and so think thats wrong for most people other than you too.

Two more wrongs to add to the silly track stand suggestion that the OP has already discounted.
    Does anyone on here think that learning to do a track stand is the answer to being unable to unclip?
  • navrig2
    Carbonator wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    .... Candy 1 pedals.....

Not sure how SPD's are less comfortable either, and so think thats wrong for most people other than you too.

Two more wrongs to add to the silly track stand suggestion that the OP has already discounted.
    Does anyone on here think that learning to do a track stand is the answer to being unable to unclip?

I find my SPDs less comfortable than my Keos. Probably more to do with less stiff sole on the MTB shoes.
  • Anonymous
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    .... Candy 1 pedals.....

I find my SPDs less comfortable than my Keos. Probably more to do with less stiff sole on the MTB shoes.

So its that you find your MTB shoes less comfortable than your road ones then?
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I've had hassles with clipping into Look pedals up hills. Probably because they were quite old and would spin - I would often miss the platform and hit the back. Not an issue on the flat but can be a pain on a steep hill trying to push round on one leg, waiting for the pedal to come round again (can't freewheel).

Using new pedals may help if they spin more slowly. Or pack in lots of grease into the old ones (though this may only work for a while if the bearings are wearing). They seem to come round in the right place more often than not.

I would think SPD type pedals would be easier if you're having problems with road single sided - Time Atac are a good option with very positive entry and exit.

Or you could try Speedplay Zero pedals (or the light action variant). As you don't have to worry about the side you land on with these either. They can be stiff to start with though - until they wear in - a used set of pedals and cleats may help get you started.

Finally, if you do stop on a steep hill with your Looks. Get in a low gear and set off across the width of the road - this will feel more 'normal' and give you a chance to freewheel and have a second attempt to clip in if you miss. Then quickly turn up the hill.
  • navrig2
    Carbonator wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    .... Candy 1 pedals.....

So its that you find your MTB shoes less comfortable than your road ones then?

Not necessarily. Wearing the shoes represents no discomfort walking or standing. Start pedalling and the smaller connection point and the slightly more flexible sole means that, in use, the SPDs are less comfortable - if that makes sense. Ultimately I think it is the flex in the sole which makes the difference.

If I were to go touring I would upgrade my shoes to s stiffer modle but would stick with SPD as a result of the benefits of recessed cleats. For road cycling I would move away from Keo style cleats.
  • Jafaremraf
    i thought I'd post back with the outcome of this thread.... Having pondered and researched and picking up a bargain on eBay! I bought some Shimano touring shoes and M530 spd pedals. I was worried to begin with because hubby didn't turn the tension down on both sides of the pedal and it was hard to release, and it was hard getting my foot clipped in when practicing in the kitchen. But once I went out and cycled, practiced stopping and starting on hills, I've been converted. Easy to unclip, and when starting off, the rubbery soles on the shoes, combined with the larger, double sided pedal, means I can pedal easily without being clipped in. I can then just wriggle my foot and it clips in. They also don't slip on the road when I stop, I can walk easier and I don't need to carry the cleat covers in my pocket for when I stop and walk, like I did with the Look ones. I feel liberated and much less worried about hills now. The pedals are heavier than the Look ones, but at my level of cycling that isn't going to be an issue.

Thanks to everyone for offering advice, appreciated.
  • Cotterend
    Cotterend Posts: 73
    Change up just before stopping uphill. The higher gear will give you longer to clip in and give more resistance to push against. Depending on the grade, if you miss first shot, try a half turn back-pedal and keep things moving with the clipped foot while you have a second go.

If you are scared of clipping in, you will set yourself up for panicky failure. Breathe deeply first, calm yourself and believe you can do it. You're much more likely to clip straight in this way. If you don't, keep calm, have a second go. If you miss again, probably time to stop, gather yourself and go again in a minute or two. This way, you won't build up into a fearful mess and let it all get on top of you.

I've had to do all this, because the hills here are very steep (15 to 20% not uncommon) and in road shoes it's hard even to stand or walk on the road surface. It feels like a roof! I thought for a while that the issue of clipping in would beat me, but I have got on top it. Up to 15% I don't even think about now, above 15%, I hope I can just keep going!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    tmg wrote:
    Have a look at some mountain bike pedals as your able to rotate your foot both ways to realease and as mentioned you can actually walk in the shoes as the cleat is recessed

Maybe not the best of ideas to un-clip by turning the heel inward. Moving bike spokes can put a hurting on your ankle.