First Aero Bike - Giant Propel vs Planet X Stealth?

Cozzib89
Cozzib89 Posts: 3
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
So I am looking at purchasing my first aero bike to compete in Triathlons. Previously I have been using an old beaten up Giant Defy, but I don't want to go full TT bike as I don't think it will get enough use just yet...

I was looking at the 2016 Giant Propel Advanced 2 vs Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2. The budget can stretch to the pro, but looking at the specs is it really worth an extra £850?

Looking at other brands the Planet X Stealth Ultegra looks a decent bike which comes in even cheaper than the Advance 2. To me the spec looks good, but how do people think it would stack up against the Propel?

Any other recommendations?

Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The propel will be miles ahead of the Planet X stealth.
    How about trying a full on aerobar set up on the defy?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Cozzib89
    Cozzib89 Posts: 3
    Good to know about the Propel vs Planet X. The Defy is entry level road bike stuff - its 3 years old, bent handle bars (multiple crash victim), heavy wheels, not even full Shimano Groupset etc. I see it as a commuting bike nowadays and I think it would take a fair bit of cash and time (which is limited) to get it up to scratch.

How about the Propel vs Propel Pro, any thoughts?
  • napoleond
    I'd still consider keeping it and getting some full aerobars...

As for the propel vs propel pro, that's downto your budget...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I know several riders setting excellent TT and tri times on Planet X aero bikes.

The difference between that and a Propel is going to be tiny in the real world, a few seconds.

If budget is tight, go for the Planet X and spec it up with what you've saved.
  • mason5697
    mason5697 Posts: 63
    Try and haggle a deal.... I got the propel advanced pro 2 3 weeks ago. Brand new for 1750 with a set of spd-l pedals and a cracking set of shimano road bike shoes. Deals to be had out there.

As for the bike, couldn't fault it one bit. My first road bike and I love it. Very fast, very nippy and still very comfy.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Propel is one of the best aero bikes in terms of performance and riding comfort. Hands down a much better purchase than the Planet X - and that's a quote from someone who owned the Planet X and tried both.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Giant looks a very nice bike - but isn't it twice the price of the Stealth ? I'm very happy with my Stealth and it's given me some good results. The bike doesn't hold me back.

As the OP said - I couldnt justify spending megabucks on a bike that gets raced a handful of times a year.
  • luisccsousa
    luisccsousa Posts: 6
    edited May 2016
    Look at Felt AR range, the seatpost can be flipped making the seat tube angle close to a TT bike (see viewtopic.php?t=12973770#p18930926 - not mine).

I've bought an AR5 for the same reasons, a good aero bike with an acceptable TT position.
    I'll be setting up mine this or next weekend for a non-draft tri later this month. :)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Isn't the Stealth a TT frame, therefore not really comparable to the Propel? Planet X equivalent is their newish "Rivet" bike I think. The Stealth has been around a while and seems well regarded, ridden by Cadel Evans at the Tour a few years back apparently, but I'm not sure the geometry is really suitable for a road bike.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    BigMat wrote:
    Isn't the Stealth a TT frame, therefore not really comparable to the Propel? Planet X equivalent is their newish "Rivet" bike I think. The Stealth has been around a while and seems well regarded, ridden by Cadel Evans at the Tour a few years back apparently, but I'm not sure the geometry is really suitable for a road bike.

I thought that but it looks like they've stuck a set of drop bars on the same frame and are flogging it as an aero road bike.

It's not quite as a aggressive a TT bike (76 deg seat tube) as the Exocet (78) but even so I'd agree, it wouldn't be my first choice if I were going to be using as a road bike for most of the time. You could probably get a more aero position out of it than the Propel, but there are far better options if it's not a dedicated Tri race bike.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Re the Stealth

It doesn't appear to be a road bike but an old skool (by absolutely modern standards) TT rig so it appears you are comparing apples and oranges, it'd be a pretty ridiculous position...

However, if you want an aero road bike, the propel is very good, the UK crit scene is littered with them, the only issue I've seen is people getting brake rub from broader wheels ( zipp 303's are a culprit)... there are other options as well, the old venge, the felt AR series, the BMC TMR series ( I own one and they are great) and so on.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    For British roads, you want something that can handle rough terrain. Clearly, Scott Foil is the answer.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    @ OP: I'm not sure what you are asking really. If it's optimum TT times in triathlons a full on TT bike would be best. If you want an all-rounder that you will ride on social/group rides with the occasional TT/Trathlon then an aero road frame might be a jack-of-all-trades solution but will be a compromise as they are neither as aero as a proper TT bike, nor as comfortable and well-handling as a road frame. The new Madone is perhaps the best solution currently for an all-round bike that covers both bases.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    never ridden it but what about this Ribble or one of their TT bikes - http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-aero-883/
    The Fuji Transonic is another alternative that has had some very good reviews - and this one with Ultegra seems to be pretty good value - https://www.evanscycles.com/fuji-transo ... e-EV241884
  • napoleond
    The Planet X stealth frame used to be their own TT frame firm around 10 or more years ago. As it got superseded by the expect about 5-6 years ago and sales have dwindled they've badged it as an 'aero road frame'.
    The stealth was never at the sharp end of aero technology even back then but it was cheap so popular.
    People used to say it must be good as it was ridden by Cadel Evans in the tour a good few years back badged as IIRC a Ridley. That's no guarantee of quality though.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Re planetx stealth. I bought one years ago when it first came out. Raced on it in dedicated tt form for a few years then got a p3. Last year I converted the stealth to road bike form and for me it makes a great training road bike. As said its not steep but I would say it's a little harsh, something that 25mm tyres sorts out though.

I eventually couldn't resist putting clip on tri bars on it and for a busy triathlon or something that can be quite technical in nature it makes a lot more sense than my p3 does.
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    Yes the Adv Pro is worth the upgrade, especially considering the deals that can be done.

I would rather have an Adv Pro with 105 than an Adv with Ultegra.

I would love a propel built up as a TT bike (zipp bull bars), if you are are a M, M/L or L i would get
    the sale frameset from Mantel and build it up with 105 and whatever parts i could get hold of and some deep handbuilts

if XL consider the more expensive version.

https://www.mantel.com/uk/search/?q=propel

if i had the money, building with Di2 i think would be it might be easy(ish) to covert to drop bar and switch between the two.