Best City to Live in for Cycling

13»

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    nbalcombe wrote:
    ...this has to include culture and lifestyle available in the city...
    Forget Matlock then.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,846
    nbalcombe wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Love how the guy above uses Sheffield as an example of somewhere down south!

Just had a look.

There is 2/3 of the UK to the north of Sheffield. By my books that puts Sheffield well into the south.

My missus is form Sheffield, I would love to see someone tell her family they lived in the south :D

I'll quite happily do it. :lol:

I remember as a kid when the athletics were on the telly and Brendan Foster was running there were regular references to him coming from the north. On that basis I assumed he was Scottish and that Gateshead was somewhere in Scotland.

Keep in mind these were the days when the only books in the house were the Beano annual and there was no internet and only toffs went into libraries and you couldn't take the atlas home from school. There was no way of confirming my assumption.

I lived in the north (Scotland) and Brendan Foster came from the north. Simple to an 8 year old.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Definitely not Southampton, total heck-hole. And don't enter the New Forest into it. That's rubbish and all.
    I'd stick a vote in for Portsmouth. If you live on Portsea island itself, a single-speed hack is all you'd need to get to the sea front, excellent pubs, bars etc.
    And on a road bike (or MTB for that matter) you can be in the South Downs in minutes. Once you get away from the edges of Hampshire it can be surprisingly empty with some lumpy bits and stunning scenery.
    The only drawback is, although Pompey is compact and flat and therefore ideal for walking and cycling, everyone is still addicted to their cars, so traffic can be a pain. But show me a UK town where that isn't the case.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Navrig2 wrote:
    nbalcombe wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Love how the guy above uses Sheffield as an example of somewhere down south!

Just had a look.

There is 2/3 of the UK to the north of Sheffield. By my books that puts Sheffield well into the south.

My missus is form Sheffield, I would love to see someone tell her family they lived in the south :D

I'll quite happily do it. :lol:

I remember as a kid when the athletics were on the telly and Brendan Foster was running there were regular references to him coming from the north. On that basis I assumed he was Scottish and that Gateshead was somewhere in Scotland.

Keep in mind these were the days when the only books in the house were the Beano annual and there was no internet and only toffs went into libraries and you couldn't take the atlas home from school. There was no way of confirming my assumption.

I lived in the north (Scotland) and Brendan Foster came from the north. Simple to an 8 year old.

You're not still 8 though, are you? When people talk about up north, down south and the midlands they are talking about England. Scotland is another country, which just happens to be to the north of England. Sheffield is still in the north (of England).
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,846
    BigMat wrote:

You're not still 8 though, are you? When people talk about up north, down south and the midlands they are talking about England. Scotland is another country, which just happens to be to the north of England. Sheffield is still in the north (of England).

What people?

If someone in Edinburgh says "the north" do you really think they mean Newcastle?

To the people of Scotland, Sheffield is south and in relation to the UK it is in the south. It's a fact, no matter how much the people of Sheffield might want to be regarded as southerners!
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    Utopia anyone?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Navrig2 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

What people?

If someone in Edinburgh says "the north" do you really think they mean Newcastle?

To the people of Scotland, Sheffield is south and in relation to the UK it is in the south. It's a fact, no matter how much the people of Sheffield might want to be regarded as southerners!

And to a lot of Scandinavians you're a southerner!
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    nbalcombe wrote:
    But to keep it on track, I'm not talking best cycling destinations, I'm talking best places to live that offer good cycling. For me this has to include culture and lifestyle available in the city

Hate people that say I told you so, but......
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    nbalcombe wrote:
    But to keep it on track, I'm not talking best cycling destinations, I'm talking best places to live that offer good cycling. For me this has to include culture and lifestyle available in the city

It must be great to be so (self) satisfied - happy for you.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    nbalcombe wrote:

It must be great to be so (self) satisfied - happy for you.

To be honest I have lived in Chester for 50 years, I must have missed the culture and lifestyle.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Chester's a nice place, I live on Wirral (up towards the NW corner of it) and it's not bad for cycling, a few extra miles to get into Wales. The bit I dislike from a cycling POV here is that on windy days you don't get a choice of which direction to head out. All rides go roughly SE.

I lived in Lincoln for quite a while, that was good for being able to head out in pretty much any direction, so if you preferred heading into a headwind or into a tailwind, you could.

I did find the countryside a little uninspiring there, though.
  • kawaspresso
    kawaspresso Posts: 106
    I think the best city to live for cycling is Nice in south France, great weather, nice climbs around (Col de la Madone) and the Mediterranean sea.
    Best city in UK : Any city near Dartmoor Park is good for me, I love this area :)
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    No mention for Manchester? Cheshire plains to the South, Peak District to the East, Lake District to the North, Velodrome, GB riders everywhere...we even have a Rapha now!
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Well I live close to Derby and I would definitely say it must be up there. Nice flat countryside one side and major hills the other, it's got it all really.

My Dad lives in Plymouth and although it's limited with it being on the coast, Dartmoor National Park looks good for cycling, even the quality of the roads are generally good.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Bluemoon17 wrote:
    No mention for Manchester? Cheshire plains to the South, Peak District to the East, Lake District to the North, Velodrome, GB riders everywhere...we even have a Rapha now!

Is this a joke?

The only good thing about Manchester is that there are plenty of motorways that allow you to drive away to somewhere nice quickly (at weekends anyway). Cycling in Manchester itself is a miserable experience. Obscene amounts of traffic and generally ignorant people don't make for a nice place to cycle.

Once you get beyond the Ribble Valley to the north and into the Peaks to the east there's some great cycling, but getting there on a bike from Manchester is sh@t. A great cycling city shouldn't be one that you need to drive away from to find enjoyable cycling.
    More problems but still living....
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I think the best city to live for cycling is Nice in south France, great weather, nice climbs around (Col de la Madone) and the Mediterranean sea.
    Best city in UK : Any city near Dartmoor Park is good for me, I love this area :)

Nice? Are you nuts?

Wall to wall sunshine, glorious Promenade des Anglais stretch of beach, top food and restaurants, Col d'Eze, Madone, etc., morning ride round Cap Ferrat....

Nah, think I'd rather Grimsby thanks.