Best sub £500 hybrids for older people

Matthewfalle
Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Morning all

Just a quick one - colleague at work (late 50s) and his wife (same age) need a couple of hybrids to use when travelling around in their motor home: weight is very important as they have to load and off load them.

Any recommendations? The Trek series have caught my eye but what I know about hybrids can be written on the back of afar packet and I want to offer the best recommendations I can for them.

Thank you very much in advance

M
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Can't really go wrong with the giant range. I have one.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    I think they will struggle to achieve light weight at £500. The Boardman Team hybrid with a triple butted alloy frame and carbon fork is 10.5kg at £699. The Hybrid Comp is bang on the money at £499, though has an alloy fork and weighs 11.2kg.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I reckon "lightweight" is a bit subjective and the Boardman Comp at £500 looks to be bang on. My hybrid is a Dawes one and I certainly don't think of it as a heavyweight yet it comes in at just over 12kg.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    As already said, the Trek hybrids spring to mind- as do the Specialized Sirrus, which comes in at about 10.5kg under the £500 mark.

Unfortunately the best value hybrid for general use in my mind is the Carrerra Subway from Halfords- they are tough as old boots, they survive with shockingly little maintenance and can deal with most surfaces well, plus can carry as much luggage as you can put on.
    Unfortunately they are also heavy- completely stripped back without guards or panniers you're looking at just over 13kg...
  • Matthewfalle
    Brilliant stuff - many thanks.

Yup - light in this case is around 10kg which the Treks and B/mans seem to do, so may point them in that direction. Budget puts custom sales bin build out of the question unfortunately (unless anyone knows any different!)

Many thanks again for all your help.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • If their definiton of hybrid extends to "flat bar road bike", then Decathlon have stuff under £400 and under 10kg. No bouncy suspension, MTB gears or squeaky mechanical discs, though. :)
  • Matthewfalle
    If their definiton of hybrid extends to "flat bar road bike", then Decathlon have stuff under £400 and under 10kg. No bouncy suspension, MTB gears or squeaky mechanical discs, though. :)

No bouncy suspension, etc? Sounds perfect!

And as they are based in France Decathlon sounds a perfect bet as opposed to ordering from the UK and the associated faffing/losing summer pedaling hours.

Merci beaucoup!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.