One pair of wheels or two?

clazza
clazza Posts: 626
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
I have Ti "fast road bike" (compared to my carbon "racing one') which has a pair of Dura Ace / Open Pro 32/32 wheels which have been good allround wheels. On my carbon bike, I have a nice pair of Dura Ace/HED handbuilts 24/20 which are wide and ride nicely

I'm looking to change the Open Pro's to something wider and already have two pairs of other wheels - Mavic A719/Ultegra 32/32 (heavy though) which could be used for touring and a pair of Fulcrum 5LG...these feel a little "slow" on the Ti bike and they are the ones that I'm really looking to replace but in the interests of Shed room I'm wondering if one set (something like Ultegra / H Plus Son, 28/24?) would feel faster than the 5LGs but still be strong enough for loaded tours

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Am I reading this right, you want us to recommend a pair of wheels that will feel fast?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As above - 'feel' is not an exact science unfortunately. Might as well ask 'what saddle' or 'what bib shorts'...
  • clazza
    I guess what I'm trying to say / ask is...yes, I want a "fast" pair of wheels but does that come at the expense of strength / ability to use them for touring? By fast, I would mean more responsive that Fulcrum 5LGs which, to me, feel a little sluggish.

I mention the Ultegra / H Plus Son which are heavier but if they were put together by a good wheelbuilder / well-tensioned, they would be responsive than 5LGs?
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I've got DT Swiss/H Son plus built in 28F and 32R and they put up with anything I can throw at them. They've been my go to wheels for training, long CX rides and I'd happily use them for touring if I was that way inclined.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    You don't mention the condition of the DA hubs. If these are in decent condition could you not re-use these and fit some new rims? H Plus Son, DT Swiss 460 or Ryde Pulse Sprint come to mind
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • clazza
    The DA hubs are in great condition - they're built with Open Pro Ceramics, so no wear to speak of...I'm thinking its better to sell them as a complete wheelset
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    With decent hubs being possibly the most expensive wheel-set component, I think I'd be inclined to just get some wider rims built onto the existing DA hubs, and sell the open pro rims on eBay.
    I doubt that the price the existing complete wheel set would fetch would adequately reflect the cost, to you, of the components.