Time to retire my frame?

fleshtuxedo
fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
edited May 2016 in Workshop
My much loved Guerciotti badged dedacciai Scuro RS has a creak I think may be terminal, wanted to ask for some advice as I don't know what to do.

Frame has had 5 summers use, I'd guess 15k miles on it.

The creak is fairly loud, is apparent when I'm pushing hard and louder the harder I pedal. It's there seated or standing.

I've tried everything I can think of locate the noise - have swapped bb, cranks, pedals, wheels, headset bearings, bars, stem, seat mast.

There is no apparent damage to the frame anywhere. I've looked in particular inside the bb to see if the alloy sleeve for the cups is coming away from the carbon. There's no sign of any issues.

In fear of bringing down an entire chain gang, I'm not using it for now, but I need to decide what's next.

What does the forum suggest? I'd hate to scrap it, but how and where do I get it assessed? I don't see much point giving it to a bike shop....

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    A creak MAY come from the frame but the chance is pretty small.
    Almost any attached part is more likely the cause.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Doubt it's the frame. I thought I had a B creak once but it was wheel bearings.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • ve swapped bb, cranks, pedals, wheels, headset bearings, bars, stem, seat mast.

You may have covered this under "pedals", but have you checked your shoes and cleats?
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    What happens if someone else rides it, maybe it's your knees?
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • fleshtuxedo
    Thanks for the answers but as I said I've already swapped out everything suggested. The noise is not from shoes, I get it with trainers on.

What are the options/costs for getting the frame inspected?
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Another possibility is the rear derailleur hanger creaking against the frame. Remove it, clean, then reassemble with a dab of grease (silicone grease is safest on carbon).
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    If in doubt, strip everything down and I mean everything. Clean, inspect carefully and put back together again.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,885
    Have you checked the freehub\cassette?

My brother borrowed my turbo bike last summer to use for the road, and it made a horrible sound that we were convinced was BB or cranks, but tuther month when I removed the cassette, I saw the issue immediately.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Sounds like a good excuse for a new bike, but it is almost certainly NOT the frame
    left the forum March 2023
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Front QR is usually the last thing I check...
  • fleshtuxedo
    Daniel B wrote:
    Have you checked the freehub\cassette?

My brother borrowed my turbo bike last summer to use for the road, and it made a horrible sound that we were convinced was BB or cranks, but tuther month when I removed the cassette, I saw the issue immediately.

I have tried 3 sets of wheels in the frame. No joy.
  • fleshtuxedo
    Imposter wrote:
    Front QR is usually the last thing I check...

That's the first thing I check!
  • fleshtuxedo
    Sounds like a good excuse for a new bike, but it is almost certainly NOT the frame

Like the optimism but I need to find something other than the frame that creaks or I'm stuffed
  • fleshtuxedo
    jermas wrote:
    Another possibility is the rear derailleur hanger creaking against the frame. Remove it, clean, then reassemble with a dab of grease (silicone grease is safest on carbon).

Now that's a good suggestion. Thanks, I'll try it.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Not unknown for the alloy sleeves in BB shells to come unbonded
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • fleshtuxedo
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Not unknown for the alloy sleeves in BB shells to come unbonded

No, that's the fear.

Loctite drying out in the bolts for the mech hanger tonight, one of them was a tad loose. Fingers crossed....
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Mine creaks intermittently - it's younger than yours, only had 1 1/2 summers out of it

It was appalling in the Alps last year, I really hated grinding up long climbs on it creaking away, was so embarrassed I rode a lot of it on my own just so the rest of the group weren't listening to it as well, though nobody said anything : it ruined the trip.

Back on the flat, no creaking. Not had a peep out of it this year either, after its winter hibernation.

Sounds like it should be BB or crank, but pedals, saddle clamp, rear mech hanger, dunno - everything's been off, cleaned and greased an reassembled, no difference
  • fleshtuxedo
    Jermas, thank you so much for the suggestion. I reloctited the hanger screws and the noise is gone.

Phew!
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Great news! Thanks for the update.