New headset - DIY job?

carl_p
carl_p Posts: 989
edited May 2016 in Workshop
Looks like I'm going to need a new headset soon. Was thinking of doing it myself, but as I don't have a press or a removal tool it may be more trouble and costly than it's worth. However, I do have 3 bikes so possibly the tools might pay for themselves over time. I've even considered making a DIY headset press from You Tube vids!

Will I need to replace the fork race as well? If so that's potentially 2 more tools to remove and whack on a new one.

Worth the hassle or should I just take it to my favourite LBS?
Specialized Venge S Works
Cannondale Synapse
Enigma Etape
Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Do it yourself of headsets is generally simple and straigtforward if you know the principles of the different models.
    Tools? I do anything without ever paying for a headset specific tool.
    If you indicate what bike you have ,you 'll get many useful tips here.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    It's for my titanium Van Nic, straight 1 1/18 head tube. Current headset has external bearings.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Most likely the current one has cartridge bearings , buying new ones is all you need, might even cheaper to buy a complete headset and only change the bearings.
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HSFSOX/fsa-orbit-x-headset

Cheap and good, a similar one does the job on my titanium bike for > 3 years without any problem.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,704
    Yes, DIY if you are vaguely competent. Crown race fitting tool is easy, length of plastic waste pipe does the job. Headset press isn't difficult watching the videos is probably the best bet to make one. I would say that just using large washers is not enough, they need something to keep them perpendicular to the threaded rod.