Speedo

Jonesinamilion
Jonesinamilion Posts: 230
edited May 2016 in MTB general
Evening all, lovely day for it!

Set off for a little ride today and no sooner had I left house my speedo packed in (battery).

I know it shouldn't have done but it realy bugged me throughout the ride. I'm no pro, don't enter events or anything like that, I'm just a hobby rider but i always like to know how far I've gone, how fast I'm going and my average speed... Am I alone on this (the other two guys I went out with don't use one).

I know lots of ppl rely on apps etc nowadays, Is the speedo a dying thing?

I also lost my overall distance when I replaced the batteries :(

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I've never felt the need for one. All I'm interested in is how much fun I've had.
  • StinkinHippy
    StinkinHippy Posts: 160
    I use strava as an odometer and average speed recorder.. I don't need to see what speed I'm doing at any given time, so wouldn't clog my handlebars up with extra stuff.
  • chrisdouglas
    chrisdouglas Posts: 114
    I use strava as an odometer and average speed recorder.. I don't need to see what speed I'm doing at any given time, so wouldn't clog my handlebars up with extra stuff.

+1 for this. I quite like to look back and see how far I've ridden, and like to know the kinda speeds I was hitting but I have no urge to know while I'm doing it so I just use Strava on my phone and throw it in my bag for the duration.
    2013 Kona HeiHei - 29 Life

http://www.lakesrider.weebly.com
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    As soon as I read 'speedo packed' I remembered this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTD9aDWdwHg

Sorry.. :lol:
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Looks like I'm a minority then :D

One of the main reasons for me having one is to find out how far I've gone... Because I'll need the time, energy & legs to get back!
  • chrisdouglas
    chrisdouglas Posts: 114
    Looks like I'm a minority then :D

One of the main reasons for me having one is to find out how far I've gone... Because I'll need the time, energy & legs to get back!

Yeah I can understand if you're just out riding and exploring why you'd use it. I almost always plan a route and know where and how far I'm riding before I ever set off out the house though so it erases the need for it to be tracked other than for my own knowledge/entertainment (read: bragging rights :):) )
    2013 Kona HeiHei - 29 Life

http://www.lakesrider.weebly.com
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Strava will give you distance ridden and average speed (not rolling but full duration) all the way though a ride.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • johnmcl7
    johnmcl7 Posts: 162
    Although I find the cycle computer more useful on the road bike, I still find it handy on the MTB as well and always have one with me.

John
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    The Garmin Edge 25 is about the size of a speedo but doesn't need any wires and you can simply bluetooth your data to your phone to save it to Strava/Garmin connect. Either way your data is saved on the cloud private/public meaning if you get a failure you don't loose your distance.

While riding you can have your distance/climbing/speed/time/the time available to look at.

At £90 it's not THAT much more expensive that a good quality speedo either.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    +1 for Strava plus Garmin for back up!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I tend to have my garmin on my bike (rubbish rubber band mount that spins round) its got a couple of screens you can customise the one I use most off road just had speed an compass heading which is all I generally need. On road I have more but I think you can get too deep into having numbers on screen etc.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I used to have a speedo but then got a new bike and didn't put a speedo on it. Started enjoying riding more without thinking about speed/distance all the time. Now I use strava and my smartwatch tells me my time and distance if I want to know while riding then I'll just look back over then ride later.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava