Vittoria open corsa (graphene)

gaz047
gaz047 Posts: 601
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Good Morning, just wondering if anyone is using these and what you think ?(I appreciate they've not been out long)
Is anyone using them tubeless?
Many thanks
Gaz
if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
Stick your 'rules' up your a%se

Comments

• FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I will give them a try when my current stock of tyres wear out
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... a-g-50201/
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Been using them for a few months. Grip in wet better than previous Corsa's, no punctures yet, feel as comfortable as previous Corsa's. Really like them but too early to comment on durability.
  • bregante
    bregante Posts: 271
    I've got some on the best bike which I've only managed to put a few hundred miles on so far due to injury. Today was the first big ride and I have to say I'm very impressed. They feel very supple over rough surfaces and quick' ish - if not as quick as the schwalbe ones I had last year but the schwalbes cut up quite badly whereas the open corsa's seem to be holding up very well although it's obviously early days. I got mine for a pretty good price from Mantel.

Gratuitous Pic

24610078833_e36a500213_h.jpg
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    Thanks a lot for your replies, much appreciated. May have to give them a go once my current tyres wear out. Nice bike Bregante!
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • DanTe1977
    DanTe1977 Posts: 46
    Bit mixed from me I must say. They look great, ride really nicely and feel quite fast BUT I'm having lots of problems with punctures.
    So much so, they're getting to last chance saloon.
    I reckon I've had 5, front and back in about 20 rides. That's 5 more than I've had in the last year on GP4000's.
    I think it's the tread on them that's the problem, the culprit is the same every time, 2mm bits of grit.
    I reckon it gets trapped in the tread long enough to get forced into the tyre.
    I ride a lot of dusty back roads so it's not great.
    I do however, seem to be the only person having this problem..
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    DanTe1977 wrote:
    Bit mixed from me I must say. They look great, ride really nicely and feel quite fast BUT I'm having lots of problems with punctures.
    I reckon I've had 5, front and back in about 20 rides. That's 5 more than I've had in the last year on GP4000's.
    I think it's the tread on them that's the problem, the culprit is the same every time, 2mm bits of grit.

Are you surprised?
    They replace the CX in the pecking order, which were just as puncture prone. Using a material developed for organic electronics makes the headlines and is fashionable, but it doesn't really cut the mustard
    left the forum March 2023
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I use Vittoria CX Isogrip (not the older dodgy in the wet EVO's), and get on well with them.

Punctures are very rare unless you ride them worn out. Grip is good, and I can get them for 40 euros each!
  • ugo.santalucia
    I use Vittoria CX Isogrip (not the older dodgy in the wet EVO's), and get on well with them.

Punctures are very rare unless you ride them worn out. Grip is good, and I can get them for 40 euros each!

And you ride in France, right? Never punctured in France myself
  • bernithebiker

Indeed, (and Majorca!). The roads are pretty good. They are currently resurfacing a road near us which I think must UK riders would already have qualified as 'very good' !!
  • DanTe1977
    DanTe1977 wrote:

Are you surprised?
    They replace the CX in the pecking order, which were just as puncture prone. Using a material developed for organic electronics makes the headlines and is fashionable, but it doesn't really cut the mustard

I am a bit surprised yeah. I don't know so much about vittoria tyres as these are my first and most likely last pair..
  • ugo.santalucia

Indeed, (and Majorca!). The roads are pretty good. They are currently resurfacing a road near us which I think must UK riders would already have qualified as 'very good' !!

It's a different ball game... not sure why Brits keep buying 180 grams tyres which are meant to be used on roads that do not exist over here... must be the "convertible effect" :lol:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think there is quite a variance in roads across the UK and local geology seems to make a big difference too. I ride the (non-graphene) Corsa SCs on my best retro bike in 3 season weather and they are a wonderful tyre in terms of feel/speed. I ride in the Cotswolds mainly and don't have any problem with them, as in no punctures in at least a thousand miles. Wear is not great but I accepted that from day 1, should be able to get another thousand or so out of them before I will happily replace with the latest version.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I think there is quite a variance in roads across the UK and local geology seems to make a big difference too. I ride the (non-graphene) Corsa SCs on my best retro bike in 3 season weather and they are a wonderful tyre in terms of feel/speed. I ride in the Cotswolds mainly and don't have any problem with them, as in no punctures in at least a thousand miles. Wear is not great but I accepted that from day 1, should be able to get another thousand or so out of them before I will happily replace with the latest version.

We should go for a ride together, now that I am local... to make up for that cockup a couple of years back
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Ha, yeah. My 90 mile round trip ride which was well planned...apart from the fact that I got the start time wrong and even waved at you as you rode past in the opposite direction, doh! I will PM later in the year (currently suffering from a recurrent knee injury).
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Ha, yeah. My 90 mile round trip ride which was well planned...apart from the fact that I got the start time wrong and even waved at you as you rode past in the opposite direction, doh! I will PM later in the year (currently suffering from a recurrent knee injury).

I remember the wave :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    How are you rating the graphene tyres now , are they better than the conti gp4000?
    Thanks
  • DanTe1977
    Not for me they're not..
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    I've been riding the G+ Rubinos and have no complaints.

Just changed my second bike to the same tyres.
  • ugo.santalucia
    From the Vittoria Blurb
    The application of Graphene allows for reduced rolling resistance, increased speed, big improvements in grip, lower weights and decreased wear.

As I understant tyres, rolling resistance and grip work against each other... if you increase grip by adding a new material to the mixture, you also increase rolling resistance... the fact that the wonder material does it all seems bollox to me...
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    The G+ ones seem to ride the same as the SC to me, I have both. The G+ doesn't have a file pattern tread, so psychologically it doesn't appear to wear quite as quickly as you don't witness that file pattern disappearing quickly.
  • From the Vittoria Blurb
    The application of Graphene allows for reduced rolling resistance, increased speed, big improvements in grip, lower weights and decreased wear.

As I understant tyres, rolling resistance and grip work against each other... if you increase grip by adding a new material to the mixture, you also increase rolling resistance... the fact that the wonder material does it all seems bollox to me...

Stop spoiling the magic :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • bernithebiker
    Rolling resistance is more down to how much the carcass flexes, not the compound of the rubber that touches the road (although that is a factor too).

So the fastest tyres tend to be those with very supple, non hysteric side walls.

I just got a great deal of the Vittoria G+ Race Speed tubular tyre (very supple) so will be trying that soon.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Rolling resistance is more down to how much the carcass flexes, not the compound of the rubber that touches the road (although that is a factor too).

So the fastest tyres tend to be those with very supple, non hysteric side walls.

I just got a great deal of the Vittoria G+ Race Speed tubular tyre (very supple) so will be trying that soon.

OK, I'll rephrase... wear and grip work against each other, grippy tyres typically wear faster
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064

pretty good being better than any road anywhere in the UK include fresh tarmac just laid ...all 100 yards of it.

i'm beginning to think nothing short of 30mm touring tyres will do these days :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I am currently riding Vittoria CG Open Pave (27mm rear, 25mm front) and have been wondering whether there is a reason that Vittoria have not introduced a Graphene based version of these tyres. Is it because they consider that the new Open Corsa is a good enough alternative, or because they do not think that the Graphene technology is capable of replacing the CG Open Paves?
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • Yep that was what I read in the marketing.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Seem good to me. The CX wear very quickly and are more prone to punctures. These are better in both respects.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    For me they do a lot of things quite well, in the summer months they roll well, and are genuinely the most confidence inspiring tyres on the descents, I’ve ever used. In the autumn and winter and once they have a bit of wear, they attract punctures and hole quite easily.

For me summer tyres only, if you are looking at the same for winter, go for the toughened up version.
  • scott_w1987
    scott_w1987 Posts: 316
    I am currently riding Vittoria CG Open Pave (27mm rear, 25mm front) and have been wondering whether there is a reason that Vittoria have not introduced a Graphene based version of these tyres. Is it because they consider that the new Open Corsa is a good enough alternative, or because they do not think that the Graphene technology is capable of replacing the CG Open Paves?

I think the Corsa Control G+ is the new alternative.

My Corsa G+ tyres are a year old with about 2500 miles on them and they are splitting down the groves pretty badly, not a great first experience. Previous Corsa SC tyres lasted much better.