Which Chain

romany
romany Posts: 22
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
I have just bought a set of new wheels and shimano ultegra cassette for them.I am also going to buy a new chain and was looking at the Sram red 22 and was wondering if this would work ok or if I would have'to buy a shimano chain

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I have read that SRAM and Shimano 11 speed are not compatible which is surprising given that I thought all 11 speed cassettes were interchangeable, including Campag. However, for me, the best chains for all round quality and VFM are the KMC ones (although the uber expensive ones are not really worth the extra outlay).

Don't forget that you will need to cut down a new chain so keep the current one and use that as a template. KMC are good because the Missing Link that they come with are fairly easy to fit to join the chain up (but be careful, the 11 speed ML is not reusable so don't be tempted).
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Romany wrote:
    I have just bought a set of new wheels and shimano ultegra cassette for them.I am also going to buy a new chain and was looking at the Sram red 22 and was wondering if this would work ok or if I would have'to buy a shimano chain

KMC
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    edited May 2016
    Duplicate post
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    Is the cassette the same range as the last one? If not you shouldn't use the old chain as a template but resize it using one of several methods. I prefer the big chainring big sprocket as in 3 below

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... -section-3

I agree re KMC, no faffing with the shimano pin although may be worth investing in a set of the link pliers to fit/remove the link. Bobbinog is right about re-using the link, KMC don't recommend it but I'm certain loads of people do, as per the old 10 speed link.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,396
    KMC - last really well if looked after.
  • Reused my current 11-speed missing link at least 8 times now. No idea why I shouldn't.

But then I'm also mixing Campagnolo's 2012 11-speed with 2015 11-speed, and that's supposed to be a no-no too.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Ok, my understanding is that you shouldn't reuse 11spd links because they have thinner plates than the other MLs. This means that the small ledge which keeps the pins in place (and the link together) is more likely to sheer off with repeated removal. My experience of riding with folks who suffer a chain failure is that it is usually under load and therefore unlikely to be a pleasant feature of a ride.