OT: Good value smartphones

2»

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    However I'm not 12, so I don't really know what's good or not.

Likewise, my needs are simple - but my current S3 mini is knackifu'ked :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    the waterproof Sony xperias are nice. The firm bought mine so I have a z5 (large cos I like big screens) and it really is brilliant for everything I need. But the smaller and less hi-spec are much better value for money. And so far the waterproofing has been great, the fingerprint recognition is very useful, great screen, ant+, annoying sony apps, and I love the flat black slab of glass looks
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Shame the tariffs via Amazon are so crap.

1GB data tariff over 24 months for the 16GB MotoG is £672

Tesco 1Gb data @ £16 per month for 24 months is total cost of £384

Amazon 16Gb MotoG is £150
    Sim only 1Gb Tesco SIM is £10 per month over 18 months (then can roll-on monthly)
    So after 24 months total cost would be 150+(10x24)= £390

I'd say that last option is what I would do if I were buying today (FWIW I got £20 gift card when I got my 8GB Tesco phone and the Amazon 16GB phone was £30 more expensive - so I though £56 was too much for 8GB storage and 1 GB RAM.

And for memory I bought 128GB for £24:
    http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDXC/In ... 1---80MB_s

I'd also recommend a rubber bumper too as the phone is a bit slippery to hold onto. I always use one to protect against accidental drops.

'Cheap' smartphones are really very capable these days.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I know its really geeky, but the caterpillar s60 phone, not so budget at £400, but thermal camera to find those commuters with motors built in will be out in the next month according to reports
    I'm holding out for it.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754
    imatfaal wrote:
    the waterproof Sony xperias are nice. The firm bought mine so I have a z5 (large cos I like big screens) and it really is brilliant for everything I need. But the smaller and less hi-spec are much better value for money. And so far the waterproofing has been great, the fingerprint recognition is very useful, great screen, ant+, annoying sony apps, and I love the flat black slab of glass looks

My wife's xperia screen cracked while it was in her pocket and Sony refused to believe it hadn't suffered an impact.

Lovely phone apart from that though.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    imatfaal wrote:

My wife's xperia screen cracked while it was in her pocket and Sony refused to believe it hadn't suffered an impact.

Lovely phone apart from that though.
    My OH's has done the same - twice now with a Z1 compact, so she's replaced it with a z5 compact.
    At least I've now got the Z1 compact as my phone after a compared to the 2010 "smart" phone I had before.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I still haven't bought one

My S3 mini is now so unresponsive I'm half tempted to bring my even older LG out of hibernation

It's just a hill. Get over it.