Shoe comparison

Ross Gardner
Ross Gardner Posts: 230
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
Shoes can vary from make to make, when it comes to sizing. I have had so much trouble in the past with this. I know my shoes size last time I measured was 8 1/2, and I have measure 222.5mm to 245mm wide (D/E). So when it comes to buying cycling shoes, I need some advice. I'm going for flat pedal:

Five Ten Impact VXi or Five Ten Freerider Contact.

The FIve Ten IMpact VXi are apparently, "Wide." I don't know if my feet are wide enough.

Any idea on what size to get for my official shoe size (trainers are 9s and walking shoes/sandals/leather shoes are 8 1/2)?

Are there any other shoes you recommend?

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Get both and send the one you don't want back
  • Ross Gardner
    JGTR wrote:

The issue is that if I try them out, I can't return them... that's the entire point of asking.

Sure, it's an option... I guess there's a part of me trying to avoid postage fees, but if I get them from Ebay, I can use their returns policy (which is free).

The worry was there, because having a certain size being comfortable and a certain size being the right size can be two different things. So I was looking for experience. I could buy two different sizes, admittedly.

The size thing is a side issue: I shouldn't have put it in.

So that's why I'm looking for shoe advice. Also any input about other shoes.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I normally wear a size 9 shoe but had to go up to a 9.5 with Freeriders.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    JGTR wrote:

The issue is that if I try them out, I can't return them... that's the entire point of asking.

Sure, it's an option... I guess there's a part of me trying to avoid postage fees, but if I get them from Ebay, I can use their returns policy (which is free).

Most places like Chain Reaction Cycles have excellent returns, so getting a couple of sizes and sending back the ones that don't fit is what most people do.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • gazcarsf1
    gazcarsf1 Posts: 130
    Adidas trail cross with 5/10 stealth soles, I'm an 8.5 and that's what I ordered, fit spot on.
    If you register for an online account you get a 15% discount code to use + I'm sure it's free returns win win
    Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
    How much for that!!!!!
  • Ross Gardner
    Most places like Chain Reaction Cycles have excellent returns, so getting a couple of sizes and sending back the ones that don't fit is what most people do.

OK, thanks.
    Gazcarsf1 wrote:
    Adidas trail cross with 5/10 stealth soles, I'm an 8.5 and that's what I ordered, fit spot on.
    If you register for an online account you get a 15% discount code to use + I'm sure it's free returns win win

Will have to try, thanks.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Gazcarsf1 wrote:

Will have to try, thanks.

They're getting very good reviews and, as they own Five Ten, they get to use the same, much praised rubber on the soles.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Ross Gardner
    I have got the Five Ten Freerider Contacts: thank you for the advice.