Mini oil bottle for tool pouch.

remedy_7
remedy_7 Posts: 179
edited January 2019 in Workshop
Has anyone got any simple ideas for carrying some oil? I'm going to be doing some long single day rides, 200-300km.
I've been looking around the supermarkets for a mini plastic bottle of something so I could empty then reuse it.

Only other idea I had was to put an oil soaked piece of cloth in a ziplock bag.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I have done a number of 200s and the odd 300, in all weather and never needed to reapply oil on any of them and I have never seen anyone else doing it.

Just give your chain a quick wipe down with a decent rag (like an old tea towel or T shirt) and then a generous coating of a decent lube (MucOff Wet for all conditions is my current favourite). Leave overnight and then wipe again with the rag...then off you go. That should be good enough for a whole week of riding.

Same goes for all the other friction points, such as jockey wheels, etc., although the lube might be slightly different (simple 3in1 works well for gear cable guides under the BB, etc.).
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,139
    as above, never needed oil on the ride

if you really want to take some, things like ear drops, eye drops etc. come in small bottles with a dropper, should be fine for oil
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I ride 2-300km often and never need to reapply oil.

Unless the weather is truly awful, your chosen lubricant should hang on until the end of the day.

I sometimes carry oil for longer (1000km+) rides, but I honestly can not remember the last time I used it. Again, decent lube should last long enough unless the weather is awful.

I carry a tiny sample bottle of lube (5ml of Muc Off) - be nice to your bike shop and see what they have. Others I know use the little fish things you get with sushi - have a screwcap, so work well!

On tour*, I carry a small bottle of Finish Line - it's tiny.

But really, unless the rain is very strong, decent lube will not cause you any real dramas for 1000km+

Emergency solutions include olive oil if you really have a dry chain!

*with a bike with a chain/chains. Most of my touring these days is done with belts.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I carry a small dropper bottle for multi-day trips - nothing worse than a full day's rain to wash the chain dry and have it squeaking like mad the next day until you find a source of oil :)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • remedy_7
    Sorry all.
    I didn't realize that I had any replies.

I guess I must be applying my oil too sparingly. When I pannier tour the oil will last about 5 days or 5-600 km. Are you all riding electric bikes?
    With the race bike (bikepacking) I will get about two days max.
    I'm planning on doing the 'Route des Grandes Alpes' which is 700km and will defo need a bit of oil. But trying to go ultralight.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I don't understand why the oil would not last as long on a 'race' bike..?
  • remedy_7
    I guess I just chuck wetlube on the tourer. The race bike I use drylube then wipe it dry after 5 or 10 mins.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    A little fish shaped bottle that has the soy sauce in it when you buy supermarket sushi
  • stavgold
    stavgold Posts: 61
    I carry a 20ml bottle of green oil

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Green-Oil-On-To ... wodPkYEVg#
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Remedy 7 wrote:
    I guess I just chuck wetlube on the tourer. The race bike I use drylube then wipe it dry after 5 or 10 mins.

Lol - there you go then. Put wet lube on the race bike! That's what it is for!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Coming back to this after having just done a 2500km, 10 day ride through the very worst weather Framce could throw at me.

Relubed on day 4 after some storms. Day 7 or 8 everything was dry due to horrific rain. I had actually run out of lube and needed to buy a bottle at a supermarket (it was nothing special, and I had to ditch the big bottle). That did me until the end despite then riding through floods in northern France.

If the weather had not been as bad as it was, I would have been happy with relubing the bike once (which sits about right for when I have ridden 1000km+ events and not had to lube). In the end, the weather was truly awful and I needed to relube more than I have ever done in the past, but I would not change anything that I carry as that weather was exceptional.

In short, for even 2-300km day rides, do not worry about it too much.

If the weather is decent and you use good lube, then can certainly go 1500km (4 or 5 days) without worrying about it too much.

But, if the weather is the worst France has seen in decades, all bets are off! But lube of some form is available in even smaller supermarkets. So nothing much to worry about really.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Agree weather in France apocalyptic last week - long time since I've experienced quite such heavy rain/hail. Nice in between them mind you....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • remedy_7
    Finally found something.
    I know you have all been waiting and pressing 'refresh' every couple of minutes.

The soya bottles just aren't secure enough for me. An oil leak inside my bag is a bad thing.
    By chance I found a Nalgene bottle 1/4oz 8ml. Perfect. I have had a few Nalgenes before and I know it won't leak.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I use a perfume atomiser spray for spraying gun oil as part of my weapon cleaning kit at work. You could use it for chain oil to the same effect.

I can understand you wanting a quick and easy small travel kit as lugging your entire tool box and all your lubes with you on a tour or race meet can be a PITA.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    What about the smal bottle that Shimano hydraulic fluid comes in?

PP
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I hope he's sorted out his very minor issue over the last three years...

But well done on random searching?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools