Bike hangar for side of bannister?

evren
evren Posts: 18
edited May 2016 in Workshop
Hi folks,

Is anyone aware of a bike hangar/rack for a single bike that could be attached to the side of a bannister? So it'd be stairside, hanging up by the banister, not taking up much space.

Using the below pic as an example - it'd be on the right hand side and on the outside? We're talking 7/8 kilo road bike, so nothing too heavy.

Thanks,
Ev

banister-after-replacing-spindles-and-building-newel-post-around-existing-TDA-Decorating-and-Design-featured-on-@Remodelaholic.jpg

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,161
    couple of large s hooks? these maybe...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUGE-S-HOOK-G ... 1972413689

add some foam pipe sleeving to protect the frame
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Bloody hell, the house looks immaculate. If our house looked like that and I tried to hang a bike on the bannisters my wife would go mental. And I'd probably take chunks out of the paintwork.

Also I think you may be underestimating the space it will take up; you might regret it the third time you smack your head on a pedal...
  • dulwichiron
    dulwichiron Posts: 86
    I'd go for one of these instead as the ceiling will be high above the stairs http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-ma ... ley-system
  • evren
    edited May 2016
    Thanks guys - for the record, I pinched that pic off Google, my gaff is nothing like that sadly :)

So it looks like there's no specific solution - it's either a ceiling hanger or hooks.... i was hesitant in using ceiling mounts for the mtb's as they weigh a ton, but the road bike should be ok.... just thinking in the back of my mind, one day i'll walk in & i'll be decapitated by the chainset..... i suspect if properly mounted there shoudnt be any risk....
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    You could try one of these clamp on bathtub railings. Clamp to the railing and set the bike on it similar to a car bike rack. Bought one of these for my 91 yr old mother for her bath and has been sturdy and maintenance free for three years with some heavy stresses put on it. Of course you may have to place some wood strips between the clamps to avoid damage to your hand railings if needed and easy to improvise other solutions as well. http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ ... Caps%2C277 I have this one. http://smile.amazon.com/Moen-DN7005-Mul ... b+grab+bar
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Could you put the left hand handlebar drop resting over the handrail, with the non drive crank vertically inbetween the spindles.
    The handrail should be around 900mm high so you could probably rest the back wheel on the lower capping with only a strap to hold it in place.

I wouldn't screw anything into the spindles as they might only be skew nailed in place, spacers inbetween if it's a newish property, so not really weight bearing in the outward direction.
  • evren
    Elfed - The handlebar could rest on the handrail yes, and you're right - I was looking into this and theres enough space for the wheels to place the bike on the outside where the spindles meet the floor. I'd just need two hooks attached to the spindles to simply stop the bike from falling sideways as it'll be at a 10/15 degree angle.

That puts minimal pressure on the spindles as well, as the weight of the bike is out of the equation then.... they're quite thick though so I reckon i'll get away with screwing them in if it comes to that....

I'm thinking that'll work a treat.... \w/

edit: just measured it - if the bannister was a foot longer i could have stored two of the bikes that way..!
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Is there enough room to rotate the crank arm once through the spindle gap so that it keeps the bike upright?
  • evren
    Yep - theres enough room to get the bulk of the pedal and crank arm between the spindles, so its upright enough. I didn't want to test with the mtb as the handlebars are too wide in comparison, so the bike would be be at a much steeper angle.

I can't see it not working once i get the road bike though, the handlebars are smaller so I'm thinking two hooks/bands - one by the top of the fork and one by the frame just below the saddle. That way the front wheel wouldnt move and being higher up the whole thing would be more stable...
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    keef66 wrote:
    Bloody hell, the house looks immaculate. If our house looked like that and I tried to hang a bike on the bannisters my wife would go mental.

It is such a sad story when you realise you married the wrong woman! :wink:

Or maybe I have misunderstood - your house is a tip and she is happy with your bike on the bannister! :lol:

PP

p.s. I managed to take over the 'toy room' and keep all my bikes in there...lads have their sofa, X boxes and TVs and I have my bikes! Top tip, have 3 lads so you outnumber the missus! :wink:

PP
  • evren
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Bloody hell, the house looks immaculate. If our house looked like that and I tried to hang a bike on the bannisters my wife would go mental.

Or maybe I have misunderstood - your house is a tip and she is happy with your bike on the bannister! :lol:

PP

p.s. I managed to take over the 'toy room' and keep all my bikes in there...lads have their sofa, X boxes and TVs and I have my bikes! Top tip, have 3 lads so you outnumber the missus! :wink:

PP

Ha- I'll have to fess up - the only reason I haven't gotten the road bike already is due to the missus moaning about storage - there's 2 bikes already - but this cunning banister storage plan should do the trick \w/ 8) \w/

You don't have to walk around the bike , it's not hanging off the ceiling, you can't even see it...!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

PP

PP

House is frequently a tip, but a bike on the bannisters would I fear be the last straw! :D
    We do have 2 boys (young men I suppose since they are 24 and 27 now), but sadly no spare room for toys or bikes. We have a garage full of stuff including 5 bikes at the moment; 2 of them really should go to the dump.

I did marry the right woman though. She was the one who suggested I buy my second bike!