Clipping in advice - toe hitting wheel

tenohfive
tenohfive Posts: 152
edited May 2016 in Road beginners
A friend has very kindly loaned me his road bike for awhile - I've no previous experience of roadies (and not much of cycling full stop) but it has a set of SPD pedals attached and I'm keen to make the most, so I've just picked up some suitable footwear. Whilst practicing/getting used to them I've only had one real issue - when turning at a fairly sharp angle (low speed) and my foot hits the 3/9 o'clock position my toe is brushing the front mudguard.

I have gone a size up as per the common advice with Shimano shoes (they're M065's) so they do feel a little boaty on but not uncomfortable, and I've got just over a thumbs width of empty space in front of my toe. Cleat position wise they seem to be right under the balls of my feet, feel comfortable in use and are as far forwards on the shoe as they go - so I can't adjust them to stop this (unless I'm missing something.)

The bike itself may not be perfectly sized for me and it's not been properly fitted/adjusted - just what I can manage myself from some online guides -but it's felt comfortable over the last 100km/3 trips. But I presume this could be part of the problem? Or something else?

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    It is not unusual to have toe overlap on a road bike with race/endurance geometry in relation to the head tube angle, fork offset/trail, centre/front measurement, and crank arm length. It is something that you need aware of when performing a low speed manoeuver and tight turn. Adjust your pedal position to avoid toe strike, it is not a problem in normal riding were you tend to use small steering inputs and your body to steer the bike.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/images/front_end_geom.gif
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Take the mudguards off.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Really you only turn it far when negotiating obstacles at low speed. So just remember that. For 99.9% of the time it's not an issue
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    "Just over a thumb's width of empty space in front of my toe"
    Inside the shoe? That shoe is too big.
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    Gethinceri wrote:
    "Just over a thumb's width of empty space in front of my toe"
    Inside the shoe? That shoe is too big.

Have you got the same bike?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul