11 speed chain on 10 speed cassette

dieselgeezer
dieselgeezer Posts: 231
edited May 2016 in Workshop
Does an 11 speed chain run smoother/quieter than a 10 speed chain on a 10 speed cassette?
I've read (somewhere) that the 11 chain has thinner plates & is therefore more flexible laterally & also that it is more accurately manufactured (don't know why) than a 10 speed. Apparently quite a lot of 10 speed chains measure more than 1" (for a pair of links) when new & 11 speed are built to a tighter spec. As the 10 & 11 sprockets seem to be the same thickness I can't see why the 11 chain won't work on a 10 cassette. Just aiming for a quieter transmission (& longer chain life).
Anyone have any experience of this?
-- "I am but a spoke in the wheel of life" -- Ghandi

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Makes no sense.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    i cant comment on the higher build spec but an 11sp chain works fine on 10sp cassette (once indexed), at least as good as 11sp chain, its thinner ext spec makes less noise on cross chain situations.
    we had to do this on an 11sp bike when i didnt have an 11sp junior cassette.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Does an 11 speed chain run smoother/quieter than a 10 speed chain on a 10 speed cassette?
    I've read (somewhere) that the 11 chain has thinner plates & is therefore more flexible laterally & also that it is more accurately manufactured (don't know why) than a 10 speed. Apparently quite a lot of 10 speed chains measure more than 1" (for a pair of links) when new & 11 speed are built to a tighter spec. As the 10 & 11 sprockets seem to be the same thickness I can't see why the 11 chain won't work on a 10 cassette. Just aiming for a quieter transmission (& longer chain life).

By analogy, 10s chains work great on a 9s cassette if that helps
  • Alex99

Is there much of a problem with 10s chains really?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I can't imagine that 10 speed chains are manufactured to sloppier tolerances than 11 speed. Just fractionally narrower externally. Please try one and tell us how you get on.

What I did notice when trying to shorten my first 10 speed chain was that the pins are a lot harder to push out than 7/8/9 speed had been, and once out, the pin cannot safely be reused.

And I have a suspicion that as chains have become progressively thinner, they can wear out a bit faster. Makes sense I suppose since there's less metal to wear out.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Alex99 wrote:
    By analogy, 10s chains work great on a 9s cassette if that helps

If only I'd read that last week. I've just bought a 9 speed chain and spare KMC links in 9 and 10 speed flavours.

Would make the spares drawer and the saddle pack a bit less cluttered if I used 10 speed chains and missing links on both bikes...

(Maybe I can sell on the 9 speed stuff to my son as an upgrade for his 8 speed bike....)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    per Sheldon, mixing equipment 1 speed out normally works OK. Hence 11 and 9 speed should work with 10 speed gear.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    drlodge wrote:
    per Sheldon, mixing equipment 1 speed out normally works OK. Hence 11 and 9 speed should work with 10 speed gear.

i can tell you a 9 speed chain does not work well with 10sp, its too wide.

11sp works because it is exactly the same internal spec as a 10sp, Shimano used narrower pin and side plates for the marginally closer 11sp sprockets.

so i ve just been for a spin on a Canyon Aeroad fitted with a DA 10sp wheel/cassette!
  • Alex99
    keef66 wrote:
    I can't imagine that 10 speed chains are manufactured to sloppier tolerances than 11 speed. Just fractionally narrower externally. Please try one and tell us how you get on.

What I did notice when trying to shorten my first 10 speed chain was that the pins are a lot harder to push out than 7/8/9 speed had been, and once out, the pin cannot safely be reused.

And I have a suspicion that as chains have become progressively thinner, they can wear out a bit faster. Makes sense I suppose since there's less metal to wear out.

I remember seeing tests done on 9 and 10s chains. The 10s were much harder wearing.

The main thing that is getting thinner is the side plate, which actually isn't the bit that gets worn out. But, it does make challenges for making the chain hold together, hence the need for special pins with flattened ends etc... That's why they are harder to push out to shorten the chain.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Running an 11 speed chain on 10 speed makes no sense.

If you do make sure you use 11 speed chainrings. Sooner or later the 11 speed chain will lodge itself in between the slightly larger gap on the 10 speed rings, and if this happens under force it is well and truly stuck until you can part the rings.

I know this because I used a 10 speed chainset on an 11 speed bike...