Which bib shorts - Castelli/Assos/Other?

Cliveyp
Cliveyp Posts: 173
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm finally in the market for a decent pair of bib shorts, having shrunk a bit since last year and finding my old dhb aeron race no longer fit properly (or I bought a size too big without knowing better).

I'm not in a position to buy loads of pairs, and although I understand you can't really tell how they are til you've done a decent ride in them, i'm concerned about buying a pair only to find they're not comfortable. I have set my budget (slightly reluctantly) at £100, but anything cheaper than this would abviously be a bonus. I'm planning to use them for regular 20-50 mile rides and the occaisional 100 mile sportive so would definitely appreciate the comfort.

Currently i'm torn. I've found the Assos outlet offering the Fi.Uno_s5 within budget, but a lot of people recommend the Castelli stuff to me. I have a pair of Nanoflex bib-longs that i've used a number of times over winter, and whilst they are comfortable, I don't find them amazing. I also have a pair of Giordana Silverline bib-longs which are similar to the Castelli's in comfort for me.

Is it worth just going for the Assos, or should I consider others? I would prefer slightly longer legs, and I worry that the Assos may be shorter?? I also worry about sizing.......
2015 Ridley Fenix 105
2012 Cube Ltd SL
2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
2001 Giant Boulder - Sold

Comments

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    all are above good, my free aero are solid, my assos S7 are really good (and fairly sure they have crash repair too) but I always end up going back to my Rapha Pro Team for long days in the saddle, throw in the crash repair means you don't have to buy twice.

Should assos offer crash repair, get those over castelli imo, the extra cost provides slightly better comfort imo and could essentially be an insurance should you have an off.

I do have some of the older DBH stuff which was fine, but was only ever liked for 2 hour mid week club rides never a 5 hour jaunt.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I really rate the DHB Aeron shorts. Worn mine for plenty of century rides.

That said I'm happy with a thin chamois in a tri suit for 112 miles.

You don't need to pay megabucks for shorts. I've some PX ones that are perfectly fine for the Sunday runs. I just dont think they will last as well as the DHB = but they are half the price or less.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    Set aside a couple of hours for yourself to read this...
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13063261
    and this...
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13028668&hilit=top+end+bib

Of the shorts I already have, my recommendation would be Santini Edge.
    From what I've read on here, my next pair are likely to be some Pactimo, La Passione or maybe Chapeau.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I'd add Isadore, Parentini, Tadaias to that list. And Pedal Ed look ok. It's bewildering frankly.

Oh, and Rapha Core.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Cliveyp
    Thanks people. It certainly is a bewildering choice, and it certainly seems it's a case of Assos/Rapha setting a benchmark to which all others are measured.....but taking into account price, i.e, 'these ones were great, but not worth twice the money of these'.

It's sooooo difficult! I hadn't realised the Rapha Core was in budget previously, so they're in the mix. Same with the Assos at the price that they're offered. As much as I'd like to try some LP or Chapeau or many of the others that are around, I'm worried that if buy the wrong things. I also quite like the crash repair of the Rapha and Assos too, which with my track record could be quite beneficial!!

Sizing is another thing which concerns me with the smaller companies. At least the likes of Rapha and Assos can accept returns/exchanges quickly so I'm not without for too long should I choose a wrong size.

What would you recommend sizing wise on any of these though? I'm roughly 5'11", high 13's in weight, 34"ish waist and a broad 43" chest.....
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
  • colinsmith123
    colinsmith123 Posts: 579
    Assos. I don't wear any of my other shorts any more. Stand up to regular washing and still look good one year later.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I've got Rapha, Assos, Castelli plus a few others (club kit is impsport - no idea what the pad is) and to be honest for most rides they're all fine. For a long ride I'd reach for the Rapha or Assos but where the real difference comes in is where you have several long days on the bike. For those I'd go Assos every time - even if it meant washing the same pair every night. I've got some s5 ones at the mo but will be getting some s7s before hitting the alps this summer.
  • Cliveyp
    After mulling it over for a bit, I've hit the button on a pair of Assos s5 Uno's from the Factory Outlet. Found a 10% code on google and they have only cost £87. Seemed silly not to!
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
  • Milton81
    Milton81 Posts: 26
    I'd add Isadore, Parentini, Tadaias to that list. And Pedal Ed look ok. It's bewildering frankly.

Oh, and Rapha Core.

Yes definitely bewildering. These days everyone seems to be making cycling gear, but most use pre-made models, standard materials, put a logo on it, some cool graphic and that is it (and charge you more).Isadore and PedalEd look great, never tried. Parentini is a small, average company in italy, that works mostly on custom clothing overseas, there must be a reason. Tadaias forget about it.
  • Milton81
    Cliveyp wrote:
    After mulling it over for a bit, I've hit the button on a pair of Assos s5 Uno's from the Factory Outlet. Found a 10% code on google and they have only cost £87. Seemed silly not to!

Great choice! Well done, spend a bit more now and be happy for ever after. most important, they last and make you feel like a superstar :)
  • bendertherobot
    Milton81 wrote:

Oh, and Rapha Core.

Yes definitely bewildering. These days everyone seems to be making cycling gear, but most use pre-made models, standard materials, put a logo on it, some cool graphic and that is it (and charge you more).Isadore and PedalEd look great, never tried. Parentini is a small, average company in italy, that works mostly on custom clothing overseas, there must be a reason. Tadaias forget about it.

Parentini seem to do ok ;) As to Tadaias, why not? First tests out there are very positive.
  • Milton81
    MrB123 wrote:
    Set aside a couple of hours for yourself to read this...
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13063261
    and this...
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13028668&hilit=top+end+bib

Of the shorts I already have, my recommendation would be Santini Edge.
    From what I've read on here, my next pair are likely to be some Pactimo, La Passione or maybe Chapeau.

Guys, we must decide what price range we are talking about here. We can't keep comparing Assos and Castelli bibs to other new brands that sell at half of the price. Castelli makes some very cheap bibs too but they are nowhere near as good as their top of the range. The topic was for Assos-Castelli or other and we are comparing it to very average brands that sell shorts that loosen up after 2 months. Pactimo, la pasione average quality, standard clothing. Chapeau, never tried.
  • Milton81
    Milton81 wrote:

Oh, and Rapha Core.

Parentini seem to do ok ;) As to Tadaias, why not? First tests out there are very positive.

Because if the guy is looking at Assos shorts he will never be happy with Tadais or Parentini, trust me! Know them well (especially parentini).with so many brands out there these days, people seem to concentrate more just on the graphics they like more than the actual quality of garment, materials, innovation and r&d that goes into making the product! Remember, you get what you pay for!! Anyway, he bought Assos so topic is closed ;)
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Rapha Classics
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • bendertherobot
    Milton81 wrote:
    Milton81 wrote:

Oh, and Rapha Core.

Because if the guy is looking at Assos shorts he will never be happy with Tadais or Parentini, trust me! Know them well (especially parentini).with so many brands out there these days, people seem to concentrate more just on the graphics they like more than the actual quality of garment, materials, innovation and r&d that goes into making the product! Remember, you get what you pay for!! Anyway, he bought Assos so topic is closed ;)

They might as well close down then I guess. You know Parentini? Tell us all about that.

Interestingly he bought S5. Running your logic, he'll never be happy because he didn't get the S7
  • Milton81
    Milton81 wrote:
    Milton81 wrote:

Oh, and Rapha Core.

They might as well close down then I guess. You know Parentini? Tell us all about that.

Interestingly he bought S5. Running your logic, he'll never be happy because he didn't get the S7

I'd be very happy with a Maserati, SLK or even an M3, don't necessary need a Ferrari or Lamborghini. Then if I just need to drive to the post office and back, a 1980 ford would do.
    There is my logic ;)
  • Cliveyp
    Not aiming on starting any arguments here so please don't get too heated!

My question was open enough (in my mind at least) to accept different price bands and manufacturers out there. I set myself a mental maximum of £100 for a pair, which does still seem excessive in my mind but i'm fortunate this week that some back-pay means i've got an extra bit of disposable income. I was happy to accept that someone may have tried some S5's and had found something for half of the price that was almost as good so it was good to see some other names and budgets thrown in. Chances are I won't be able to justify a second pair any time soon, so the cheaper alternatives might be a good back-up.....and seeing them compared to the more expensive choices at least gives me some perspective.

That said, I hope i'm happy with the S5's. I know they're not S7's but then i'd never pay that sort of money for them so i'd not know the difference. At the price I got them for, I didn't think it was worth going for the alternatives and saving maybe a tenner and getting a worse short.

Anyway, its done now. Thanks to all for your views and input. It'll be helpful in the future too! :)
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Milton81 wrote:
    Milton81 wrote:
    Milton81 wrote:

Oh, and Rapha Core.

I'd be very happy with a Maserati, SLK or even an M3, don't necessary need a Ferrari or Lamborghini. Then if I just need to drive to the post office and back, a 1980 ford would do.
    There is my logic ;)

You didn't answer his question. It would be good to know of your experience of Parentini, from a feedback POV
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    you will be very happy with the S5. compares very well, perhaps better - at least equal - to the top end castelli pad.

size wise i would guess Assos L / Rapha L / Castelli XL given your measurements.
  • Cliveyp
    Thanks Gaffer. I went with an XL, on the basis that my Nanoflex tights are an XXL and fit fine.

Best case is they're a bit longer in the leg, worst case is they have to go back for an L!
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    if you are XXL in Castelli XL in Assos should work well.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Also Assos is a known quantity so a lower risk purchase in my opinion.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    I just went out with my assos and I wish I didn't. I haven't worn them for the whole winter and mostly I am with any bibs that has Cytec camios and I think they are much better in terms of padding.

I wish I took out my pactimo and or DHB ASV Pro. Until Castilli uses cytec I am not buying them either.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    hsiaolc wrote:
    I just went out with my assos and I wish I didn't. I haven't worn them for the whole winter and mostly I am with any bibs that has Cytec camios and I think they are much better in terms of padding.

I wish I took out my pactimo summit raptor and or DHB ASV Pro. Until Castilli uses cytec I am not buying them either.

I have rapha too but for the money I go for Pactimo any time. But I think I will just by DHB when Pactimo is not on sale.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    You do realise Assos uses Cytec pads, albeit custom ones?