Brake lever repair

kickaxe
kickaxe Posts: 446
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey, I have just had a crash (I'm ok thanks for asking) and my left brake lever came out of the reservoir. There isn't any brake fluid coming out, but the lever is just flipping around. Is there a quick fix so I can keep riding? Thanks!
-Cube Acid 29" 2013
-A new Giant Trance 3 2015!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Poke it back in?

Brakes are?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kickaxe
    Cheap shimano br m395.

I can get the little ball at the end of the pole into the piston, but the 2 washers won't keep the ball in the piston. The real problem is that it's a holiday here today so I need to wait till tomorrow to get a new one. I wanted to go riding every day till Sunday... :(
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There will usually be a circlip holding it in, it's probably on the ground where you crashed.

Use a cable tie to stop the lever over extending perhaps?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kickaxe
    I have both the washer and the clip, but I can't get it in to match the other lever...
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    It makes it easier to push everything back in if you let the fluid out of the mc so you are not pushing against the resistance of the fluid - along with some long nose pliers to insert the circlip
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do you have circlip pliers, they won't just push in.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kickaxe
    The Rookie wrote:
    Do you have circlip pliers, they won't just push in.

I could very well. Just bend the clip together a bit and then once it's in expand it again?
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013