Do you give other riders a Nod/wave

deejaysee
deejaysee Posts: 149
edited May 2016 in Road general
I always given fellow riders i pass a little nod and about 95% do back.
On the one hand it gives you a good sense of "community" but at the same time it feels a bit nerdy too

Thoughts?

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited May 2016
    Done to death mate.

Correct answer is yes / no / sometimes / only if they're riding the right sort of bike / not if they're in full Sky kit on a poncey bike.

Short answer is each to their own.

Helmets anyone?
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    Sorry missed this thread - was too busy looking at the Rapha website. What's the question?
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    CiB wrote:
    Done to death mate.

Correct answer is yes / no / sometimes / only if they're riding the right sort of bike / not if they're in full Sky kit on a poncey bike.

Short answer is each to their own.

Helmets anyone?

It has, but the subject always brings a few posts which are funny. Unlike this one.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited May 2016
    ^^^ Ooh get you. Wasn't meant to be funny it was a summation of what the various views are.

Have a nice day Arthur. Enjoy your pm.
  • Jay_Forme
    Jay_Forme Posts: 132
    a friend of mine was driving once and I was a passenger, driving slowly down a back lane near me.
    it was getting dark, and there was a cyclist coming towards us who was 'waving'. my friend turns to me and says "do you know him? he is waving at you."

turns out he wasn't waving, my mate had left his full beam on and he was giving us another hand gesture.

not so funny reading it back as you had to be there, but made me chuckle.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Do new car owners still flash each other ? That used to be a thing back when having a new plate on the 1st August was a big event.

I wave or nod unless theres a ridiculous amount of riders coming the other way. You'd get RSI if you passed a sportive.
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    CiB wrote:
    ^^^ Ooh get you. Wasn't meant to be funny it was a summation of what the various views are.

Yes I got the pm, you missunderstood or I wasn't clear. I was talking about my post not being funny, not yours!
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    I Only nod if they're using Campag
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It's a minefield to be honest. If you nod / wave / grunt at every passing cyclist you come over as a bit needy. If you blank them all you come over as a bit of a knob. And then you have the ones where you wave but they blank you, so you feel all hurt and rejected, and slightly concerned that somebody else may have seen you being snubbed and judge you accordingly.

That might just be me though. Maybe need to review my medication...
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    Ban disc brakes on balance bikes!
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    Has it been a week already
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I blame Dubai's unbelievable abandoned supercar problem.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    That photo was taken at the perfect time though!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    shazzz wrote:
    That photo was taken at the perfect time though!

Before or after the 11 shocking playboy shoots?

Usually a nod or wave depending what your doing, obviously going the other way you nod wave or as one group seem to do just raise a finger slightly off the bar.
    If your passing its a hello as you come alongside, obviously if you wish to come over as a complete tool freewheel past them while eating a bit of cake (yes that was me)
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I'm too busy brewing up with a stove top esspresso in the seat tube bottle holder to worry about waving as I coast past.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    deejaysee wrote:
    I always given fellow riders i pass a little nod and about 95% do back.
    On the one hand it gives you a good sense of "community" but at the same time it feels a bit nerdy too

Thoughts?

Are the other 5% London Dynamo? *p1sses off without waving*
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    not just Dynorod, but lots of club cyclists including some from my own club.

not clever.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Cycling Weekly explains all about waving to other cyclists………. http://bcove.me/p6ao7l20
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,475
    CiB wrote:

Yes I got the pm, you missunderstood or I wasn't clear. I was talking about my post not being funny, not yours!
    Was the PM funny?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Maybe they didn't see you
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,059
    PTestTeam wrote:
    I Only nod if they're using Campag

Like :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    It was nearly 20C when I left work today, was a lovely ride home with shorts a jersey and mitts and pretty much every rider I passed going the other way gave me some combination of a nod/grin/wave. Was a lovely sense of camaraderie as everyone was obviously feeling just as happy to be out riding their bike on such a lovely day.

Normally I"ll give some kind of acknowledgement to a passing rider, but that might be a barely perceptible flick of a finger on the bars. Otherwise I tend to respond in kind to waves/nods etc.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I made the mistake the other week in riding in the opposite direction to the Heart of the Wolds sportive. I got bored to death waving at everyone coming towards me.
    Next time they'll get two fingers :evil:
  • It gets a bit much when a group ride passes you.
    Hello Hello Hello etc
  • Rollett
    Rollett Posts: 37
    It's funny I went from casual rider to riding every day, with that my gear and bike changed. I went from shorts and athletic shirt on a hybrid diamond back, never got waved at 100% ignored. Switched to a Spesh Allez and shorts and athletic shirt, never got waved at. Switched my riding gear to lycra, started getting nods and waves on the first ride, even though I rode the same path daily for months. Upgraded to my Spesh Roubaix and now waves, greetings, nods... You name it.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    If you nod / wave / grunt at every passing cyclist you come over as a bit needy.
    How? I dont understand.

Being polite is very easy and its free. You earn respect too.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • CoalTheCat
    CoalTheCat Posts: 91
    I have had a couple of cars that other owners used to wave/flash at while passing. (Bug/2CV). I used to enjoy watch their facial expression change as I popped them the middle finger...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,410
    Once when driving an old sports car I had someone driving the other way in a kit car waving enthusiastically at me. When I drove back the other way some hours later I realised that they were probably trying to get help as the car was a burnt out wreck about a hundred yards further on from the point I'd seen it. Ooops.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    ben@31 wrote:
    If you nod / wave / grunt at every passing cyclist you come over as a bit needy.
    How? I dont understand.

Being polite is very easy and its free. You earn respect too.

I wasn't being entirely serious. Perhaps I should've included a :wink: for the hard of humour...
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    seanoconn wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Was the PM funny?

Cameron? Unlikely.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes