Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

FFWD F6R or Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbone

sbridgeysbridgey Posts: 6
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Yes it's another which is best thread... (sorry about that)

But I cant decide between The Mavic and the FFWD wheels, I like them because they are deep section rims with aluminium brake tracks.

The Mavic wheels are lighter but they don't have accessible nipples for truing the wheel like the FFWD's, is this important?

Basically I think the FFWD wheels are cool and rarer but are the Mavic's better because they are lighter?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavi ... lsrc=aw.ds

https://www.merlincycles.com/fast-forwa ... oChIrw_wcB

Posts

  • bendertherobotbendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    They're actually quite different in some ways. If you get a chance to feel the flange of the Mavic (snigger) you'll find they are a big fairing that compresses really easy. The FFWD are a solid structure, hence the heft. I suspect the actual answer is that there may be better wheels than either out there depending on your riding.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • sbridgeysbridgey Posts: 6
    I'm after a set for fast club rides and maybe the occasional Time Trial run?
  • bendertherobotbendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Have you considered?

    http://www.zuus.co.uk/

    Good to reasonably quality according to the web..............
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • sbridgeysbridgey Posts: 6
    Cheers i'll have a proper look at them.

    First thing i noticed is they have a carbon braking surface, is a metal one not more durable?

    EDIT: a quick search has shown a fair few people say to avoid ZUUS wheels
  • bsharp77bsharp77 Posts: 533
    sbridgey wrote:
    Cheers i'll have a proper look at them.

    First thing i noticed is they have a carbon braking surface, is a metal one not more durable?

    EDIT: a quick search has shown a fair few people say to avoid ZUUS wheels

    I think most of the complaints are from people expecting £1000 quality from £400 carbon wheels.
    Zuus are the same sort of wheels you could buy yourself from chinese suppliers, only with a UK warranty and no hassle with import duty etc. - I'm quite tempted to try a pair myself, but won't be expecting them to be as good as a pair of Enves!
  • sbridgeysbridgey Posts: 6
    So would you spend the extra couple of hundred on the Mavic Wheels?
  • bendertherobotbendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    sbridgey wrote:
    So would you spend the extra couple of hundred on the Mavic Wheels?

    Personally I view the Mavic wheels as normal clinchers with added plastic bits.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bendertherobotbendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    bsharp77 wrote:
    sbridgey wrote:
    Cheers i'll have a proper look at them.

    First thing i noticed is they have a carbon braking surface, is a metal one not more durable?

    EDIT: a quick search has shown a fair few people say to avoid ZUUS wheels

    I think most of the complaints are from people expecting £1000 quality from £400 carbon wheels.
    Zuus are the same sort of wheels you could buy yourself from chinese suppliers, only with a UK warranty and no hassle with import duty etc. - I'm quite tempted to try a pair myself, but won't be expecting them to be as good as a pair of Enves!

    One of our students has bought a pair and, so far, he's impressed. Quality is obviously never going to be up there so all you need is a) go fast b) don't break.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bsharp77bsharp77 Posts: 533
    sbridgey wrote:
    So would you spend the extra couple of hundred on the Mavic Wheels?

    Personally I view the Mavic wheels as normal clinchers with added plastic bits.

    Indeed!
    To notice much of a difference, you'd need to spend significantly more (and even then, the argument is that gains are very small)...the forum is coming down with threads on carbon wheels.

    I will probably go for the Zuus because they will make the bike look nice, not because they will increase performance - personally I think anything under £1000 won't make you much faster.

    There are guys on my club run that could leave me for dead using 1.5kg stock wheels, so at the end of the day, the wheels won't make the difference, your legs will.
  • sbridgeysbridgey Posts: 6
    I currently have Mavic Aksiums which I am swapping between bikes so another set of decent wheels would be ideal.

    I can keep up with most using Aksiums so I don't know what to do now

    Ksyriums (sp?) or something a bit more aero and cooler looking....
  • AK_jnrAK_jnr Posts: 717
    I wouldnt go for either of these now to be honest. Both a bit old school in width and aero shape. Personally I would think about the Cosine's from Wiggle
  • napoleondnapoleond Posts: 5,990
    If you want an alloy braking surface don't discount shimano's offerings. The hubs are excellent too.

    I have a pair of Wheelsmith Aero 60 clinchers, I'm really pleased with them. They are for use in triathlon or very hilly TTs (I have a disc and trispoke for everything else) although they are currently getting most of their use on my road bike. Really impressed.

    FA9EFB3A-51CB-42F9-9A55-ACF0E8C956F7_zpsta1c1reo.jpg
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • gaanrowlgaanrowl Posts: 326
    have a look at the cycleclinc and their borg wheels, handbuilt and look good value for money.
Sign In or Register to comment.