Mobile Phone Protection in the event of a crash

molteni_man
molteni_man Posts: 455
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Two of my riding group have had 'offs' recently. In both cases they were ok, but on both occasions their phones got damaged. One was an iPhone which was damaged beyond repair. As I have just purchased a new phone myself I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a harder protection case which also offers waterproof protection. I've fitted an additional protective glass screen and put phone in a slim gel case which offers drop protection, but don't think these would fully protect in the event of a crash.
Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Were these phones fixed to the bike? If so, the answer is simple - don't do it?
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Pretty much it. Anything attached to the bike is risking damage in a crash.

A phone in a back pocket would be unlucky, but not impossible to damage in a crash. I use a ziplock bag to keep it dry (and have spent long, long hours in heavy rain without issue).

If you are really worried about these things, then leave the expensive phone at home. Get a cheap dumb phone for emergency calls etc.

Personally I am more worried about damaging me than anything else. Stuff can be replaced, but a damaged me might mean time off the bike and that would be no fun.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've had phones in ziploc bags in my back pocket for as long as they've been around really. Never any damage.

You can get otterbox cases that are really tough but I'd Probably avoid riding with the guys who fell off...
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    http://lifedge.co.uk/product/waterproof-case-for-iphone-55s-lifedge/ - these are the best I've used by a country mile. Waterproof (been on the deck of a paddle board and scuzzing around various boats), crash resistant and excellent in use. Very highly recommended.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • molteni_man
    Thank you for the advice. The Lifedge looks v good. I contacted the company but unfortunately they don't do a version for the iPhone 6s and do not have plans to do so at this point in time. I've picked up something similar to the Otterbox. I'm aiming to get a decent ziplock bag but am still on the look out for a slim hard shell case.

Best wishes
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Stickypod.
  • Take a cheap phone
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    It sounds like you want your phone on a mount out front. Why? Navigation, stats? Stick it in your pocket and get yourself a dedicated device that will come off a lot better in a crash, not suffer if it gets wet and not waste the battery life in your phone. I have a 6s and the battery life is not brilliant despite Apple's claims. Using it for a ride would drain the life out of it in no time. There are cheap 2nd hand Garmin 705s, 500s, 800s and even the odd 510 out there that will do full mapping or breadcrumb trails as well as give you all the performance stats you want. Ditch the phone and get a proper device.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Where did he say that ?
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I too made the assumption that the OP was looking to mount the phone on the bike. Either that or his two mates were very unlucky to do significant damage to a phone when it was in a pocket whilst they themselves remaining unscathed. If the OP wasn't intending to mount the phone, my apologies to them for jumping to the wrong conclusion. However, if they were, my original advice stands - just don't do it. It's a very personal opinion but, apart from anything else, I can't think of many things that would look more wanky that a bloody great iphone 6S stuck on the bars - then again, maybe my imagination just isn't good enough
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • molteni_man
    Just to clarify. I run with a Garmin 520 on the out front mount. I don't always take the phone but there are times when a phone is useful and/or I want to capture the odd photo. I did the Isle of Wight Randonee last Sunday and am heading across the Channel to see the opening stages of the Tour de France and where photos of the event would be great.
    On both occasions that my friends came off phones were in their back pockets and got damaged. Incidentally, both are very experienced riders. One hit a pile of loose debris in South America and the other came off on a cattle grid where one of the bars was damaged ( It's made me think about crossing cattle grids !). We all run the risk of having an off unfortunately and it's dangerous to forget this possibility.... And I will continue to ride with them.
    I'm trying to be proactive having used some of my hard earned cash and wanting to protect the phone and not just when riding! Following some good advice on the Forum I have now ordered a waterproof zip up bag from Cotswolds for just over £10. The phone has a glass protector screen and a gel case. I would still like to be able to place the phone in something that has a 'harder' wall to it. I posted on to the mtb forum and most people there rightfully suggest placing inside a Camelback/ rucksack which we don't have as roadies!
    I wish the phone manufacturers would come up with more rugged phones but there is little incentive as they want to sell new phones!
    BW
  • StillGoing
    If they're experienced cyclists, would they not know about phone mounts themselves? They both must be very unlucky to have damaged phones in their jersey pocket. I've crashed being catapulted over/through a hedge landing on my back without a mark on mine. If I'd had the phone on an out front mount it would have been destroyed.

If you want to be taking photos along the route of a ride, presumably you'll be stopping, no? Take the phone out of your pocket and use it. Sticking it on a mount on the front of the bike just for ease of access is a disaster waiting to happen.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    philthy3 wrote:
    It sounds like you want your phone on a mount out front. Why? Navigation, stats? Stick it in your pocket and get yourself a dedicated device that will come off a lot better in a crash, not suffer if it gets wet and not waste the battery life in your phone. I have a 6s and the battery life is not brilliant despite Apple's claims. Using it for a ride would drain the life out of it in no time. There are cheap 2nd hand Garmin 705s, 500s, 800s and even the odd 510 out there that will do full mapping or breadcrumb trails as well as give you all the performance stats you want. Ditch the phone and get a proper device.

Don't get an Iphone.

Garmin 1000 is £350 not cheap to be crashed either. Some phone are cheaper than that. Can get Nexus 5X for £189 cheaper than 520 considering what it can do.

Get a proper phone protection and you are set. Why spend double on a garmin when your phone can do the same job if not better?

I have the Garmin 800 and it is not collecting dust while I have my galaxy s7 edge at the front. Love it.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Two of my riding group have had 'offs' recently. In both cases they were ok, but on both occasions their phones got damaged. One was an iPhone which was damaged beyond repair. As I have just purchased a new phone myself I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a harder protection case which also offers waterproof protection. I've fitted an additional protective glass screen and put phone in a slim gel case which offers drop protection, but don't think these would fully protect in the event of a crash.
    Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I don't know what phone you have but nearly all my phones are protected by Spigen and I feel very safe.

I protected my galaxy s5, Note 4 and now the Galaxy S7 Edge.

Not only that I've purposely throw it and let it land on the floor to scare my friends just to show the protection it gets.

You can also find even tougher armour cases out there for your phone..

1. Otterbox (defender)
    2. Ballistic Hard Core (really hard core)
    3. LIfeproof
    4. Gfirrin
    5. Case Mate
  • StillGoing
    hsiaolc wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Don't get an Iphone.

Garmin 1000 is £350 not cheap to be crashed either. Some phone are cheaper than that. Can get Nexus 5X for £189 cheaper than 520 considering what it can do.

Get a proper phone protection and you are set. Why spend double on a garmin when your phone can do the same job if not better?

I have the Garmin 800 and it is not collecting dust while I have my galaxy s7 edge at the front. Love it.

Are you seriously trying to say that a smart phone can do the same job if not better than a dedicated cycle computer? I've never read anything so daft. HR, cadence, power, mapping along with variable options for all the stats plus a battery that doesn't go flat within a couple of hours by using additional apps and Bluetooth/ANT+ to connect to sensors. A Garmin of whichever model will also last years as opposed to a smart phone that will last a lot less even with careful use. There are 705s and 605s still going strong out there from the time when Nokia and Ericcson were the phones to have.
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    I have a Topeak under saddle bag and I can slide my phone into it above my spare tubes. Thankfully not tested that in anger but feels more protected than if in my back pocket?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Just to clarify. I run with a Garmin 520 on the out front mount. I don't always take the phone but there are times when a phone is useful and/or I want to capture the odd photo. I did the Isle of Wight Randonee last Sunday and am heading across the Channel to see the opening stages of the Tour de France and where photos of the event would be great.
    On both occasions that my friends came off phones were in their back pockets and got damaged. Incidentally, both are very experienced riders. One hit a pile of loose debris in South America and the other came off on a cattle grid where one of the bars was damaged ( It's made me think about crossing cattle grids !). We all run the risk of having an off unfortunately and it's dangerous to forget this possibility.... And I will continue to ride with them.
    I'm trying to be proactive having used some of my hard earned cash and wanting to protect the phone and not just when riding! Following some good advice on the Forum I have now ordered a waterproof zip up bag from Cotswolds for just over £10. The phone has a glass protector screen and a gel case. I would still like to be able to place the phone in something that has a 'harder' wall to it. I posted on to the mtb forum and most people there rightfully suggest placing inside a Camelback/ rucksack which we don't have as roadies!
    I wish the phone manufacturers would come up with more rugged phones but there is little incentive as they want to sell new phones!
    BW

You know you can get waterproof sandwich/freezer bags virtually for free
  • vinnymarsden
    vinnymarsden Posts: 560
    Try a Belroy phone wallet, totally waterproof, takes ALL your cards and keys and phone, and still easily goes in most shirt pockets, and with a slimline hard shell on my iPhone I genuinely think if the phone gets broken in the case then heaven only knows what state I will be in !
    The phone is simply another bit of "stuff" , by all means protect it, but insure it too.