Chain has lasted five years

bice
bice Posts: 772
edited May 2016 in Workshop
Five years ago, or it may have been 2010, I built up an Italian steel frame with 10 speed Campag, a standard double 53/ 39, including a Campag chain. It is a mixture of Record, Chorus, and Centaur.

It shifts perfectly OK, and I use a Park Tool chain wear tool regularly.

There does not seem to be any chain stretch at all.

I have no idea how many miles I have done on this, but I use it through the summers (50-70 miles a week). I even used it winter before last.

I cannot understand why the chain is not showing signs of wearing out. I am not complaining. I even bought a new cassette and chain last year, intending to change everything, but have not bothered fitting it.

I seem to remember paying quite a lot for the chain. I can't say I was overcharged.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Why not get a decent steel ruler and measure the thing?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If he's got a gauge why would you bother ?

Our summers can be so short though - he might just be getting 3 months a year of riding ! ;-)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Fenix wrote:

Our summers can be so short though - he might just be getting 3 months a year of riding ! ;-)

I was speculating on this very subject at the weekend. The 9 speed winter bike is just reaching the 0.75% wear point. That's a KMC chain I got as part of a used Tiagra groupset 2 years ago, so I don't know how many miles it's done, but many of them have been on filthy roads since I've been using it. And 'winter' can stretch from September to April most years, with the occasional wet summer ride thrown in for good measure.

The summer bike has a 10 speed Shimano 5701chain which looks as good as new despite being 3 years old, but it doesn't go out in bad weather, so it has an easy life, and I'm not sure how many miles it's actually done. Probably not that many.

I have a Garmin Touring Plus that doesn't differentiate between bikes, so I know how far I've ridden, but not how far on each bike...
  • fenix
    Ironically I found my chain gauge at the weekend. Winter bike is fine, Summer bike needs changing. Dammit.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Why not get a decent steel ruler and measure the thing?
    Fenix wrote:

...because the gauge might be reading incorrectly or the OP might be using it incorrectly. 5 years of 50 miles a week in all weather is a lot of usage and it would be a remarkable chain if it hadn't stretched at all in that period.
  • fenix
    Mine is just a gauge that slots in. Simple enough.

My old gauge that I leant to someone is just as easy to read. I'd think a ruler is harder to read than the gauges ?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    After 1500 miles my chains are shagged. Leave it for 2000 miles and my cassette is too worn, shifting is no longer precise and a new chain would skip. I have to change to preserve the cassette. Some people must be really easy on them.
    During winter i dont even get 1000 miles from a chain. I shag a whole mtb drivetrain far more quickly.

Using a ruler is simply fiddley and having used this metjod for a while i gave up. Those that comtinue to use it are just to stuck i there ways to change. Some of the chain wear tools out there though dont do a verh good job. The park tool worskhop tool does though it catches my chains just at the right time to avoid excessive wearnon the cassette.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Fenix wrote:

Because almost all chain wear tools measure both roller and pin wear. Roller wear doesn't matter - no matter how worn the rollers are, the space between them remains the same so the chain doesn't slip. If the pins significantly worn, the chain will slip.

If you measure with a ruler, you only measure the pin wear so the chain wear tool is potentially far more conservative than a ruler.

I use the wear tool as a first pass and when the chain gets to 0.75 I start using a ruler. Sometimes at 0.75, the pin wear proves to be negligible.

Incidentally, if your approach to chain cleaning is to wipe it with a rag, you can see that you probably do a good job of keeping the rollers clean (which doesn't matter much) and a crap job of keeping the pins clean (which does!).

Also, I suspect that if only ridden in dry conditions, a chain could last 10s of thousands of miles.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keef66
    I don't do enough miles to worry about the accuracy of the Park Tools wear gauge, and in the worst case It's only really adding the wear on the two rollers it's contacting. It's quick and easy to use, and when it gets to 0.75% wear I order a new chain and fit it in the following weeks. I like the idea I'm prolonging the life of the cassettes and chainrings.

In the days when I had only one bike and rode it year round, I too was getting about 1500 miles to a 10 speed 105 chain. Now I have 2 bikes and only one Garmin I have no idea how many miles I do on which bike / chain, so I depend entirely on the Park Tools chain checker.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    keef66 wrote:
    I don't do enough miles to worry about the accuracy of the Park Tools wear gauge, and in the worst case It's only really adding the wear on the two rollers it's contacting.

Errrrrrr....... I don't quite know how to respond to this! :lol: You should probably read some Sheldon Brown.
    keef66 wrote:
    It's quick and easy to use, and when it gets to 0.75% wear I order a new chain and fit it in the following weeks. I like the idea I'm prolonging the life of the cassettes and chainrings.

You are taking a very precautionary approach which, if you are as disorganised and forgetful as I am may not be a bad idea. However, there is a good chance that whilst you are prolonging the life of your cassettes, you are doing so at a rate that eats more money in chains than you save in cassettes. Remember, at 0.75% on the wear gauge, the pin wear might be negligible.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keef66
    Rolf F wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    I don't do enough miles to worry about the accuracy of the Park Tools wear gauge, and in the worst case It's only really adding the wear on the two rollers it's contacting.

Errrrrrr....... I don't quite know how to respond to this! :lol: You should probably read some Sheldon Brown.

I've read all the articles ever published on measuring chain wear and the failings of simple tools like mine. Annoyingly all their diagrams seem to be of older chains with separate bushings. I try to picture a modern, bushingless chain, and I'm imagining a theoretical chain where there's no wear to the pins or the inner plates; the intermediate rollers are just hanging there on their pins, not affecting chain length.

In the real world I'm sure pins, side plates and rollers will all wear at similar rates, so I'm happy that my precautionary approach is the best way of mitigating my lack of organisation and increasingly unreliable memory :)

You are taking a very precautionary approach which, if you are as disorganised and forgetful as I am may not be a bad idea. However, there is a good chance that whilst you are prolonging the life of your cassettes, you are doing so at a rate that eats more money in chains than you save in cassettes. Remember, at 0.75% on the wear gauge, the pin wear might be negligible.
  • keef66
    not sure what happened there; looks like you wrote all of it...
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    I've made the mistake of forgetting how to use the park tools chain wear gauge, I missed the point were the gauge would just drop in (meaning the chain was toast) and thought it was the other side(the inside of the gauge) which had to touch the chain. Until the chain wouldn't sit on the chainrings properly. I won't do that again.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    just checked my commuter which had a new chain in Dec its toast but not skipping or miss shifting at all
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    Must be that time of year. I checked mine for the first time in ages and it's over .75. I don't remember when I last changed it but it must have done at least 5,000 miles. The cassette has over 10,000 miles on it and looks fine but I ordered another just in case the new chain starts to jump. I don't commute on it so it rarely sees bad weather but I figure I'll need one sooner or later anyway.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    itboffin wrote:
    just checked my commuter which had a new chain in Dec its toast but not skipping or miss shifting at all
    My commuter chain lasted about the same time , replaced it a couple of weeks ago .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I find an easy way to check for chain wear is to look how the chain seats on the big ring. On my Condor, I noticed the chain was quite stretched towards the lower part of the chain ring and it looks like the chain would start to wear out the teeth due to stretch. I have no idea how stretched it is, just that it looks like it needs to be replaced.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava