Grips

Ross Gardner
Ross Gardner Posts: 230
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
I was thinking about changing grips. As I have been told that most of the time stock grips need replacing, I thought maybe someone could give advice on them. Grip is more to do with feel: so I may have to try many grips. I like a grip on my badminton racket as lean as possible, to feel the solid centre while swinging it. I avoid sticky and spongy grips. I was thinking that this may relate to feeling the handlebars, but this may be false: it's a verticle hold for a racket, rather than being a horizontal hold (even though weight is downwards), on a bike.

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I think you may be over thinking it a little. Anyway, what don't you like about your current grips?

Do you want recommendations for thin grips? If so, I like the raceface half nelson grips I'm using however some would say only one clamp isn't enough because their riding is gnarly as. They are pretty thin and don't absorb much in the way of trail buzz.

Also, what type of riding do you do? Long days may require something a bit more ergonomic than something to hang on to for a few minutes going downhill.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Grips are a very personal thing, you have a number of considerations, feel (shape, both the overall shape and the form of the surface) , grip (surface finish and material), weight (foam -> push on rubber -> lock on), conveniance (removal and refitting for maintenance).

My personal current favourite are Ritchey WCS, they are a small closed cell foam (not at all soft) with a bulge for the palm for comfort, they are fairly light (but I prefer them to the lighter ones I've tried for shape and stiffness), mildly inconvenient as they are push fit only.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    My favourites are ODI ruffians but its quite a personal choice.
    If you've never thought about your grips before then they're fine as they are. You don't notice them when they're right.