Helmets

Ross Gardner
Ross Gardner Posts: 230
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
I have been growing my hair for a long time now, and I'm unsure if I should pick something more suited to the type of Mountain biking I do, or the Lazer Blade. Would the ventilation you get from a trail helmet, reverse with a big wad of hair? I guess I should go trail anyway, for the right protection.

Oh, and I've been looking at Lazer revolution or the Bell Super 2.0. Any advice?

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    what type of mountain biking do you do?
  • Ross Gardner
    POAH wrote:
    what type of mountain biking do you do?

Trail and XC mostly.
  • Ross Gardner
    edited May 2016
    POAH wrote:
    get an MTB helmet then

Which one (is the point)?

The rest was a question about ventilation. I really answered that particular question (trail or not) myself. I was looking for, "Yes, all that hair does make the ventilation ineffective," or "No, the ventilation is unaffected."

And maybe for example, "Yes, those helmets are not as good as example for long hair," or, "example is a better helmet than those trails listed."

It was stupid of me to name the topic the way I did, I'll admit that, so I've changed it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The best helmet is the one that fits well and is comfortable. Try some on.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ross Gardner
    cooldad wrote:
    The best helmet is the one that fits well and is comfortable. Try some on.

Well I know the size of my head (57cm / 22in), and I know how to adjust the fit. I'm buying online for convenience and price.

"Why don't you buy one and then return it?" will be the question.

"How many do I have to try?" is my question. It's about time itself: I'm asking because there's experience on this forum, so I have some confidence I'm not wasting my time.

If this seems rude I'm sorry: I'm not trying to have a go at anyone.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    People have different shaped heads. Just getting the right size may or may not work.
    For example I find Troy Lee helmets horribly uncomfortable because they are the wrong shape for my head. A few of my mates wear them and find them extremely comfortable. I also can't wear Giro helmets.
    I find Fox helmets most comfortable. Except for the Fox Metah, I find that quite uncomfortable.
    Helmets are the one piece of kit I would never buy online unless I've tried one in a shop first.
  • Ross Gardner
    People have different shaped heads. Just getting the right size may or may not work.

Maybe they should have a head shape type measurement. Like having different body shapes for (mostly women) clothing.
    For example I find Troy Lee helmets horribly uncomfortable because they are the wrong shape for my head. A few of my mates wear them and find them extremely comfortable. I also can't wear Giro helmets.
    I find Fox helmets most comfortable. Except for the Fox Metah, I find that quite uncomfortable.

It's interesting: I thought one point of helmet manufacture would be to accustomise to different head shapes, and be rated on such. I guess that only applies to, "Make a lot, sell a lot." I could see a market for bespoke helmets (maybe there already is).
    Helmets are the one piece of kit I would never buy online unless I've tried one in a shop first.

I will have to check on every helmet I like, find out where its stocked, then go to the store. Fair enough.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446

I will have to check on every helmet I like, find out where its stocked, then go to the store. Fair enough.

For your own safety and comfort. It's worth it.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I can usually go to a shop, try four or five and find one thats comfortable.
    It's really not difficult and not a problem.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063

Maybe they should have a head shape type measurement. Like having different body shapes for (mostly women) clothing.

It's interesting: I thought one point of helmet manufacture would be to accustomise to different head shapes, and be rated on such. I guess that only applies to, "Make a lot, sell a lot." I could see a market for bespoke helmets (maybe there already is).

The trouble with heads is, while you can make general measurements and size up a helmet to those we all have lumps and bumps in different places so what's comfortable on one head can be very uncomfortable on another head of the same measurement. It's what they call 'hot spots'. So, despite all the padding inside it can feel like small areas of your head are pressing against hard plastic and you certainly don't want that for a couple of hours in the saddle. Most shops stock several brands so it's just a matter of trying them all until you find the ones that work with your particular lumps and bump. They all have to pass a certain safety standard so it's then just a matter of choosing the one that makes you look the least stupid. That's the hardest part. :)

Having said they all have to pass safety standards, some helmets are made better than others. I have three, A UVEX (something), a 661 Recon Stealth and a Bell Super. On the face of it, at least, the 661 is more robust than the UVEX and the Bell is far better made than the 661 (this is reflected in the price points, too). Whether this would make any difference in a crash I don't know, but it does give you a certain confidence in the product.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't rule out the Decathlon helmets, the top end ones are very well made and good value.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I was lucky and ordered a fox flux helmet online in a sale and found it fitted my head nicely but best to try on in a shop.

I'm looking for another and seen some that use a gel pad across the forehead, do these work as found a lot of times the fabric padding useless as I get a rather sweaty head wearing it.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    swod1 wrote:
    I was lucky and ordered a fox flux helmet online in a sale and found it fitted my head nicely but best to try on in a shop.

I'm looking for another and seen some that use a gel pad across the forehead, do these work as found a lot of times the fabric padding useless as I get a rather sweaty head wearing it.

MET helmets have a gel pad - it works quite well and the nearest thing to a downside about them is the mark they leave on your forehead. Regarding the head shape issue - I definitely have a MET shaped head.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Ross Gardner
    I ended up with a Scott Watu if anybody was wondering. Thanks for the advice.